Vista cuases hard drive to make weird noises.

kagai

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
i just bough an other seagate 320gb drive to install vista on i made a 40gb partition and in installed it on that, half way through install the hard drive started sounding weird, i use to get a crunching kinda sound in xp, but now it sound like sparks, and some times i hear a ticking sound, usually when opening files.

ive been told this is normal but it sounds unhealthy to me, makes me think the hard drive died every time i hear the tick.

so does vista do this ? or is the hard just fluffy ?

im in XP on my other drive at the moment and i tried defraging my storage partition on the same drive as vista didn't sound too bad during defrag but at the end it made the ticking sound i never used to get.

maybe if i run CHKDSK in bios that will tell me for sure its the hard and not OS related.

Abomonog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003
I had the same issue with an old wd1000 when running a vista beta.

Turns out the HD was on it's last legs.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like your HD is beginning to die.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
These sounds are not normal and that has nothing to do with Vista. Your HDD sounds like it is about to fail...

BACKUP YOUR DATA NOW.

It is true that Vista will use your HDD more often than XP at first, as it indexes files and is scheduled to run scans/defrags, and uses something called superfetch to pre-load commonly used apps into memory. But that has no effect on sound.

HDDs usually die within the first 3 months or after warranty period. But they can die anytime.