do_it_anyway

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
I hope someone can ease my frustration a little.

I recently did a home build and decided to install windows XP MCE, so bought the OEM version.
All installed OK, but when I updated all the drivers for the motherboard, GPU etc, Windows told me I had made major hardware changes and the copy had to be re validated.
It then told me my key had already been used for an initial install and a hardware change already. I phoned microsoft validation and got an automated women who asked me a heap of questions then validated my install.
I might add that the key has not (to my knowledge) been used in any other PC's and was installed for the first time 2 weeks ago.

My worry is that I did the homebuild on the belief that it would allow me more scope for upgradability in the future, but now I'm thinking that microsoft might complain if I add anything new in the future.

I'm all for them finding ways to ensure that life is made as difficult for pirates as possible, but surely seeing a driver update as an attempt to pirate software is taking things a bit too far?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
That's strange, have never run into a validation issue updating drivers but strange sh*t happens. If you make major hardware changes, you'll just have do a telephone activation, which is a pain but no big deal as you know but you'd have to do the same thing had you bought a Retail version. If this happens again when you just updating drivers, then you should post it because something strange is going on.