Sign in with
Your question

Trouble editing scanned slides

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
February 10, 2012 3:11:10 AM

Hello, using HP scanjet, got beautiful looking scans, but can't seem to edit them, they just won't save. I scanned at 3600 dpi, and the slide properties for each slide is around 68MB, which seems huge compared to some slides I had professionally done at 2400 dpi and about 1.06MB. I have a 500 GB hard drive, so should have plenty of space--just can't figure out what to do to save these great old slides. BTW, each scan of 16 slides has taken about 3 1/2 hours. Advice?
February 11, 2012 2:18:36 PM

Can't save? Scan (or "import") them into an application that will show the scan and then do a "save as" to save them.

Try Adobe Photoshop.

If you are scanning to make 'jpg' files, set scanner to 24 bit color, as that is all you will get anyway. If you scan at 48 bit color, you'll be spending a lot more time for the scans to made and then they'll be re-sampled down to 24 bit anyway during the save.

If you scan into an application that can handle 48 bit color, do your 'save as' in 'tiff' file format to preserve the 48 bit color (at the expense of larger file sizes) and during the save operation, allow "lzw compression" to help out a bit.

!