Run this program as an administrator grayed out

goexplodex4

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Im trying to always run Visual Studio as an administrator, so in the compatibility tab under privilege level I cant check the run this program as an administrator checkbox. My account is an administrator but you have to do this because Microsoft cant even make its own products compatible with Vista. Can someone help me out :?

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
Im trying to always run Visual Studio as an administrator, so in the compatibility tab under privilege level I cant check the run this program as an administrator checkbox. My account is an administrator but you have to do this because microsoft cant even make its own products compatible with Vista. Can someone help me out :?

Look up 'Elevate without prompting'.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
that didnt work

Reading it or what? :? There are several ways for your app to have a greyed-out 'run-as' box. Ones that I saw were related to the specific app being setup that way because it was creating other folders and such; another was related to how it was installed; and another was regarding turning off UAC... Perhaps you should read the stuff on UAC and see what applies. I haven't installed my visual studio yet; later today, so maybe I can give you more info then...

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
Im trying to always run Visual Studio as an administrator, so in the compatibility tab under privilege level I cant check the run this program as an administrator checkbox. My account is an administrator but you have to do this because microsoft cant even make its own products compatible with Vista. Can someone help me out :?

Well, I installed it and read all of the notes, you are right. It must run as elevated. They will have another update out soon that will resolve the 20 or so issues, all of them dating back to .net 1 & 2 (circa 2003). Look at it on the positive side, you will probably get a free update to VS before they are done! They don't want to lose their developer base. I'm still downloading the 425M SP1, and then I have to do the SP specifically for Vista, all of this before I start working in the morning...