How reliable are hard drives in MP3 players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001
I'm marathon runner in training. I would love to have tunes to listen to. It would seem that MP3 players would be ideal for me. However, the ones at a decent price all seem to have hard drives in them. I can't see how it would take all the pounding from my running... I can just imagine the heads crashing all the time.

A friend of mine has suggested that with these new micro drives that the head arms are short enough now that a head crash isn't so likely. Coupled with caching so reads only occur occasionally, he thinks it would be fine for running. Perhaps my long experience (15+ years) of crashing hard drives and losing data and money has made me overly paranoid?

What do people think?

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
yep flash

or minidisc (they are normally pretty well behaved)(but if your collection is MP3 and not cd, then just get an mp3 player)

it also depends on what part of your body the player is on.

a leg NO ha ha ha your shoulder or upper arm you should have minimal problems. you can get arm straps for your upper arm.

Alltaken

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
well actually no i didn't

howard answered and i just answer posts at the top that are all nice -n- yellow.

i guess it never crossed my mind to check that it was old.

it was yellow so i presumed it was a new post!!!!!!!!

honest mistake on my part.

Alltaken

Auburn9698

Champion
Yeah, it seems he's digging up every ancient thread he can. Doing the same thing in the Digital Cameras forum.

<A HREF="http://www.phototalk.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=3394&ppuser=663" target="_new">My phototalk gallery</A>
<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange>

Status
Not open for further replies.