Information using GSM in Rosarito Beach, Mexico and on tri..

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Title asks my question, going there in a few weeks. Any information would be
helpful. TIA.

Ben
14 answers Last reply
More about information rosarito beach mexico
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    "Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Title asks my question, going there in a few weeks. Any information would
    be
    > helpful. TIA.
    >
    > Ben

    http://www.gsmworld.com

    HTH

    --
    SS
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    Thanks but that was no help. I guess I need first hand info. How far into
    Mexico can you make an US phone call on ATT/Cingular?

    I am only going in 18 miles from the border
    --
    With good thoughts,
    Ben!

    "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message

    > "Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> Title asks my question, going there in a few weeks. Any information would
    > be
    >> helpful. TIA.
    >>
    >> Ben
    >

    > http://www.gsmworld.com
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > SS

  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    I doubt you will be able to use it in Rosarito. My Verizon phone only
    worked just the other side of the border. Plus there are big
    hills/mountains blocking the path from USA to mexico. Good luck, and let us
    know how it works out, I would be interested.

    > Thanks but that was no help. I guess I need first hand info. How far into
    > Mexico can you make an US phone call on ATT/Cingular?
    >
    > I am only going in 18 miles from the border
    > --
    > With good thoughts,
    > Ben!
    >
    > "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >>> Title asks my question, going there in a few weeks. Any information
    >>> would
    >> be
    >>> helpful. TIA.
    >>>
    >>> Ben
    >>

    >> http://www.gsmworld.com
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> --
    >> SS

  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <_MGdnVI1v4Wma0fcRVn-gw@adelphia.com> on Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:02:02 -0500,
    "Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >... How far into
    >Mexico can you make an US phone call on ATT/Cingular?
    >
    >I am only going in 18 miles from the border

    <http://www.cell-talk.com/Tower_range-5949827-1217-a.html>:

    Absolute maximum range for standard GSM is 35 km. This is dictated
    by the Timing Advance range being restricted to values between zero
    and 63, with each step corresponding to 553.5 metres from the tower.

    Configuring the available timeslots in pairs, Extended Range GSM
    gives 72 km usable range, but lacks GPRS capability, and halves the
    number of concurrent calls possible. Using more sensitive BTS
    receivers, Enhanced Extended Range GSM been demonstrated to be usable
    at 120 km (with the same drawbacks as ER).

    Within these limits, usable range will depend of BTS design and
    power, antenna orientation, elevation, topography (obstructions), and
    many other factors (including the moisture content of any intervening
    foliage).

    In other words, how far you can get US coverage into Mexico will depend on how
    close the nearest tower is to the border, and what kind of technology is
    deployed.

    (35 km is a little more than 20 miles.)

  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I doubt you will be able to use it in Rosarito. My Verizon phone only
    > worked just the other side of the border. Plus there are big
    > hills/mountains blocking the path from USA to mexico. Good luck, and let
    us
    > know how it works out, I would be interested.

    That's because Verizon is AMPS/CDMA and not GSM.

    --
    SS
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    "Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks but that was no help. I guess I need first hand info. How far into
    > Mexico can you make an US phone call on ATT/Cingular?
    >
    > I am only going in 18 miles from the border
    > --
    > With good thoughts,
    > Ben!

    GSMworld.com has maps, down to the city, for every GSM coverage area in the
    world. Spend some time learning how to use it and you won't be so dependent
    on others opinions.

    --
    SS
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    In article <3427ojF45p4stU1@individual.net>,
    "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

    > GSMworld.com has maps, down to the city, for every GSM coverage area in the
    > world.

    is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
    usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.

    > Spend some time learning how to use it and you won't be so dependent
    > on others opinions.
    >
    > --
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    What is your point?

    > "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I doubt you will be able to use it in Rosarito. My Verizon phone only
    >> worked just the other side of the border. Plus there are big
    >> hills/mountains blocking the path from USA to mexico. Good luck, and let
    > us
    >> know how it works out, I would be interested.
    >

    > That's because Verizon is AMPS/CDMA and not GSM.
    >
    > --
    > SS

  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    > is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
    > usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.

    If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
    ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.

    TH
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    "Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    > > is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
    > > usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.
    >
    > If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
    > ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.

    He's not bright enough to figure that out.

    Thanks for explaining that to him. You were nicer than I would've been

    --
    SS
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    > "Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    > > > is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
    > > > usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.
    > >
    > > If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
    > > ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.
    >

    > He's not bright enough to figure that out.

    Wow- there's a surprise.

    > Thanks for explaining that to him. You were nicer than I would've been

    He's still bitching about it. In order for the troll to be happy, he would
    need to see the flea on the ass of the gopher 6 feet under his house, and
    then he would whine that the map was inaccurate because the signal doesn't
    reach the gopher underground.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    In article <41DC9ADB.1050900@example.net>,
    Tropical Haven <user@example.net> wrote:

    > > is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
    > > usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.
    >
    > If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
    > ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.
    >
    > TH

    Whoopi 1" = 100 miles, still useless.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    In article <343l7qF4522sjU1@individual.net>,
    "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

    > "Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    > > > is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
    > > > usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.
    > >
    > > If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
    > > ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.
    >

    > He's not bright enough to figure that out.
    >
    > Thanks for explaining that to him. You were nicer than I would've been

    It still doesnt even zoom down to the City level as promised.

    It;'s a worthless map.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <jzwick3-06B69F.20515905012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 06 Jan
    2005 02:53:28 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >In article <41DC9ADB.1050900@example.net>,
    > Tropical Haven <user@example.net> wrote:
    >
    >> > is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
    >> > usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.
    >>
    >> If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
    >> ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.
    >>
    >> TH
    >
    >Whoopi 1" = 100 miles, still useless.

    You must be looking in a mirror. ;-)