Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Information using GSM in Rosarito Beach, Mexico and on tri..

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
January 3, 2005 7:09:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Title asks my question, going there in a few weeks. Any information would be
helpful. TIA.

Ben
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:49:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

"Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:_amdnQ5axO0BKUTcRVn-hg@adelphia.com...
> Title asks my question, going there in a few weeks. Any information would
be
> helpful. TIA.
>
> Ben


http://www.gsmworld.com

HTH

--
SS
January 4, 2005 6:02:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Thanks but that was no help. I guess I need first hand info. How far into
Mexico can you make an US phone call on ATT/Cingular?

I am only going in 18 miles from the border
--
With good thoughts,
Ben!

"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
news:33vvphF40fj83U1@individual.net...
>
> "Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> news:_amdnQ5axO0BKUTcRVn-hg@adelphia.com...
>> Title asks my question, going there in a few weeks. Any information would
> be
>> helpful. TIA.
>>
>> Ben
>
>
> http://www.gsmworld.com
>
> HTH
>
> --
> SS
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 10:49:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

I doubt you will be able to use it in Rosarito. My Verizon phone only
worked just the other side of the border. Plus there are big
hills/mountains blocking the path from USA to mexico. Good luck, and let us
know how it works out, I would be interested.

"Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:_MGdnVI1v4Wma0fcRVn-gw@adelphia.com...
> Thanks but that was no help. I guess I need first hand info. How far into
> Mexico can you make an US phone call on ATT/Cingular?
>
> I am only going in 18 miles from the border
> --
> With good thoughts,
> Ben!
>
> "Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
> news:33vvphF40fj83U1@individual.net...
>>
>> "Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> news:_amdnQ5axO0BKUTcRVn-hg@adelphia.com...
>>> Title asks my question, going there in a few weeks. Any information
>>> would
>> be
>>> helpful. TIA.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>>
>> http://www.gsmworld.com
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> SS
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:37:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <_MGdnVI1v4Wma0fcRVn-gw@adelphia.com> on Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:02:02 -0500,
"Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote:

>... How far into
>Mexico can you make an US phone call on ATT/Cingular?
>
>I am only going in 18 miles from the border

<http://www.cell-talk.com/Tower_range-5949827-1217-a.htm...;:

Absolute maximum range for standard GSM is 35 km. This is dictated
by the Timing Advance range being restricted to values between zero
and 63, with each step corresponding to 553.5 metres from the tower.

Configuring the available timeslots in pairs, Extended Range GSM
gives 72 km usable range, but lacks GPRS capability, and halves the
number of concurrent calls possible. Using more sensitive BTS
receivers, Enhanced Extended Range GSM been demonstrated to be usable
at 120 km (with the same drawbacks as ER).

Within these limits, usable range will depend of BTS design and
power, antenna orientation, elevation, topography (obstructions), and
many other factors (including the moisture content of any intervening
foliage).

In other words, how far you can get US coverage into Mexico will depend on how
close the nearest tower is to the border, and what kind of technology is
deployed.

(35 km is a little more than 20 miles.)

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:15:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

"Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:RsJCd.9922$232.1028@fed1read05...
> I doubt you will be able to use it in Rosarito. My Verizon phone only
> worked just the other side of the border. Plus there are big
> hills/mountains blocking the path from USA to mexico. Good luck, and let
us
> know how it works out, I would be interested.


That's because Verizon is AMPS/CDMA and not GSM.

--
SS
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:17:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

"Ben" <ben14@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:_MGdnVI1v4Wma0fcRVn-gw@adelphia.com...
> Thanks but that was no help. I guess I need first hand info. How far into
> Mexico can you make an US phone call on ATT/Cingular?
>
> I am only going in 18 miles from the border
> --
> With good thoughts,
> Ben!


GSMworld.com has maps, down to the city, for every GSM coverage area in the
world. Spend some time learning how to use it and you won't be so dependent
on others opinions.

--
SS
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:10:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <3427ojF45p4stU1@individual.net>,
"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

> GSMworld.com has maps, down to the city, for every GSM coverage area in the
> world.

is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.



> Spend some time learning how to use it and you won't be so dependent
> on others opinions.
>
> --
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:47:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

What is your point?

"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
news:3427kfF45b5ijU1@individual.net...
>
> "Halogen8" <halogen8@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:RsJCd.9922$232.1028@fed1read05...
>> I doubt you will be able to use it in Rosarito. My Verizon phone only
>> worked just the other side of the border. Plus there are big
>> hills/mountains blocking the path from USA to mexico. Good luck, and let
> us
>> know how it works out, I would be interested.
>
>
> That's because Verizon is AMPS/CDMA and not GSM.
>
> --
> SS
>
>
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 4:56:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

> is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
> usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.

If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.

TH
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 4:56:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

"Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message
news:41DC9ADB.1050900@example.net...
> > is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
> > usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.
>
> If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
> ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.


He's not bright enough to figure that out.

Thanks for explaining that to him. You were nicer than I would've been

--
SS
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 4:56:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote in message
news:343l7qF4522sjU1@individual.net...
>
> "Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> news:41DC9ADB.1050900@example.net...
> > > is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
> > > usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.
> >
> > If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
> > ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.
>
>
> He's not bright enough to figure that out.

Wow- there's a surprise.

>
> Thanks for explaining that to him. You were nicer than I would've been
>

He's still bitching about it. In order for the troll to be happy, he would
need to see the flea on the ass of the gopher 6 feet under his house, and
then he would whine that the map was inaccurate because the signal doesn't
reach the gopher underground.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:53:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <41DC9ADB.1050900@example.net>,
Tropical Haven <user@example.net> wrote:

> > is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
> > usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.
>
> If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
> ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.
>
> TH

Whoopi 1" = 100 miles, still useless.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:54:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <343l7qF4522sjU1@individual.net>,
"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

>
> "Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> news:41DC9ADB.1050900@example.net...
> > > is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
> > > usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.
> >
> > If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
> > ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.
>
>
> He's not bright enough to figure that out.
>
> Thanks for explaining that to him. You were nicer than I would've been

It still doesnt even zoom down to the City level as promised.

It;'s a worthless map.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 7:42:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <jzwick3-06B69F.20515905012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 06 Jan
2005 02:53:28 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <41DC9ADB.1050900@example.net>,
> Tropical Haven <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> > is the United States not a country in the world? All I found were the
>> > usual worthless 1" = 500 miles maps.
>>
>> If you click on the zoom in button, the map zooms in. If you press the
>> ZOOM OUT button, the map ZOOMS OUT.
>>
>> TH
>
>Whoopi 1" = 100 miles, still useless.

You must be looking in a mirror. ;-)
--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
!