Sign in with
Your question

Any details on Penryn clockspeeds?

Last response: in CPUs
April 30, 2007 3:17:40 PM

Does anyone know/have any links to what the clockspeed increases Intel has forecast for it's next generation shrink?

One more thing, does anyone know how much power consumption will be reduced by?
April 30, 2007 3:21:51 PM

Be serious now :p 

Really would like some info as i'm not sure whether it would be worth waiting for the Penryn quads to come out or getting a Q6600 now!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 30, 2007 3:25:39 PM

We know from the AnandTech preview that there will at least be a 3.33GHz Penryn. Sadly, I don't know much about 45nm's power consumption. *Shrug*
April 30, 2007 3:46:08 PM

Quote:

Really would like some info as i'm not sure whether it would be worth waiting for the Penryn quads to come out or getting a Q6600 now!
He might be referring to 1600 FSB. :D 
April 30, 2007 3:58:12 PM

Quote:

Ahh yes, i've heard about that. Is it me or is a bus that high totally pointless, even for a quad core? I read an article somewhere that showed 1066FSB is nowhere near fully utilized by the Q6700.

I reckon the 1600FSB is there to just spite overclockers like myself :( 
April 30, 2007 4:05:24 PM

Quote:

Ahh yes, i've heard about that. Is it me or is a bus that high totally pointless, even for a quad core? I read an article somewhere that showed 1066FSB is nowhere near fully utilized by the Q6700.

I reckon the 1600FSB is there to just spite overclockers like myself :( Well, from what i understood, they were keeping the 1600FSB for server, and 1333 for DT. I guess the 1600FSB may show a slight advantage in server apps, requiring the higher bandwidth....but would be wasted on DT. :?

Edit: Yeah, a 1600FSB(stock) will put a crimp in overclockers efforts......might be part of the idea. :wink:
April 30, 2007 4:25:42 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know/have any links to what the clockspeed increases Intel has forecast for it's next generation shrink?

One more thing, does anyone know how much power consumption will be reduced by?

No, but mark my word: "It'll all depend on Barcelona performances". If it's as incredible as what AMD suggested in it's press release, Intel will surely even get out a special 120+Watts (150?) Extreme Edition model. If Barcelona doesn't deliver, then it'll most probably be 3.33GHZ, or just enough to surpass AMD while reducing power used.

No flaming please, but feel free to say you think otherwise :wink: .
April 30, 2007 4:32:10 PM

That's exactly what Intel should do... there's no reason for Intel to hand us a 10 petahertz processor when they've already got something that is better than the competition can produce. The underdog will be the one pushing us forward... so anyone hoping for AMD's demise had better think twice about that.
April 30, 2007 4:38:33 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what Intel should do... there's no reason for Intel to hand us a 10 petahertz processor when they've already got something that is better than the competition can produce. The underdog will be the one pushing us forward... so anyone hoping for AMD's demise had better think twice about that.
I don't think that any of us(with the exception of a few idiotic Intel fanboys) are hoping for AMD's demise.....we're just not being naive. Just because AMD going BK will give Intel free-reign with prices/innovation, doesn't mean that not wanting that will keep AMD alive. It's up to AMD to dig themselves out of this whole....nobody else(fanboys included),or all the wishful thinking in the world, can.
April 30, 2007 4:39:00 PM

It is planned to go to 1600Mhz FSB. How and when it will be utilized is another matter. 1333mhz is the starting point so scaling to that level and beyond is entirely feesable.
April 30, 2007 5:01:59 PM

I like the read on mikeshardware, but there are no sources that I could find. What is the credibility of the site? People are starting to bash quoting wikipedia, but at least there there's often a reference for the information (you should quote the reference, not wikipeida I beleive is the lesson).

It would be great to see a dual-core running at a stock speed of 4 GHz. It's crazy to think that the Core uarch is more likely to hit 4 GHz than NetBurst ever was. NetBurst was designed for high clocks, but Core was designed for high IPC, so getting higher clocks is fantastic. I think we're seeing a 4x increase in computational power (factoring in the quad-cores) in less than two years.
April 30, 2007 5:37:32 PM

Intel will match AMD's performance. They aren't going to compete with theirselves.
April 30, 2007 5:46:12 PM

Quote:
Intel will slightly exceed AMD's performance. They aren't going to compete with theirselves.

Fixt
April 30, 2007 6:06:41 PM

Probably not more than the current 3.33 GHz samples.
Intel doesnt need to jump AMDs throat any more, they will just let AMD bleed and recover themselves.

Oh, however, thats just for QC, DC will likely clock higher (maybe 2 steps ahead, so 4 GHz)
April 30, 2007 7:10:09 PM

4ghz Dual Core CPUs at 75 W TDP would certaintly be something! Even as little as 2 years ago if you showed that someone they would've burnt you at the stake for witchcraft!
April 30, 2007 7:14:09 PM

Quote:
4ghz Dual Core CPUs at 75 W TDP would certaintly be something! Even as little as 2 years ago if you showed that someone they would've burnt you at the stake for witchcraft!

:)  It's a good time to be a computer geek :) 
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2007 7:19:23 PM

Quote:

Haha I know i would have.
April 30, 2007 7:30:10 PM

Damn... I'm building a new rig in June, but I don't really want to wait the extra couple months for these bad boys to hit the market. I guess I'll go with an e6600 in the meantime.. They're priced pretty reasonably these days. I just hope AMD can compete with these numbers, not because I plan on buying from them, but because the competetion will keep the prices fair and new developments coming.
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2007 7:40:35 PM

Quote:
Damn... I'm building a new rig in June, but I don't really want to wait the extra couple months for these bad boys to hit the market. I guess I'll go with an e6600 in the meantime.. They're priced pretty reasonably these days. I just hope AMD can compete with these numbers, not because I plan on buying from them, but because the competetion will keep the prices fair and new developments coming.

The e6600 just went down in price and they came out with the 6320 and 6420. Don't expect them to come down anytime soon. Just futureproof your motherboard and make sure it's quad compatible.
April 30, 2007 8:11:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Just futureproof your motherboard and make sure it's quad compatible.

Now that's some good advice there!

I've got an interesting problem on my hands as well as the one in the original post. I've just got my student loan through (woohoo!) and i'm considering whether it would be worth investing in a water cooling system for my CPU/graphics card? Thinking of about £200 maximum to be honest. All suggestions from UK shops only please!

Sorry for taking the topic off topic!
April 30, 2007 10:04:44 PM

Quote:
Intel will match AMD's performance. They aren't going to compete with theirselves.

I wouldn't count on that, I expect Intel to boost performance and hammer down prices for the entire year in an effort to run AMD under. If they move agressively which they have been and make Barcelona compete with Penryn the run AMD under strategy may just work.
April 30, 2007 10:37:47 PM

On the topic of future proofing, Does anyone know if the socket will be changing for these CPU's yet?
April 30, 2007 11:16:21 PM

Expect Penryn to keep the same LGA775 socket, but it will probably have a new VRM. 975x boards are almost sure to require a new VRM, so old boards aren't likely to be compatible, though I don't know if the p965 boards might take the 45nm Core 2s. Nehalem H2 '08 will certainly have a new socket.
May 1, 2007 3:59:33 AM

The penryn samples shown at IDF ran on a modified 975 board, so ~~maybe~~ some boards will run it.

Intel shares future specs re power envelope etc pretty far in advance with motherboard makers so ~~usually~~ if you by a top end board from a first tier mobo maker it will (with a BIOS flash) take the next generation CPU.

We know for sure the X38 and 35 series boards with 1333 fsb will support it, but beyond that, it's a crap shoot.

As for speeds..

Intel has confirmed a 1600 FSB 3.2 gig Xeon part to OEMs, and Penrym quad samples are running at 3.33 ghz which is just STUNNING this far out from launch date. We should see an absolute minimum one speed grade bump in the duals versus the quads so 3.66 and 4.00 have to be considered very likely, or maybe 3.2, 3.6, 4.0 on a 1600 FSB bus, but this sounds like an EE part to me.

~~IF~~ the power savings on 45 nano in terms of leakage are ANYWHERE near what is being claimed then high 3.xx ghz is a given and 4.xx must be considered a rational possibility for the quads too.
May 1, 2007 5:17:34 AM

Ahh so Intel is so magnificent, that they will keep AMD hanging by a thread, thereby prolonging their ultimate submission to the final fate that is to be. :twisted: :mrgreen: [/quote]
May 1, 2007 5:53:44 AM

Quote:
Quad(yorkfield) 3.46 to 3.73ghz
Duo(Wolfdale) up to 4ghz. TDP at 57W.
source: http://www.mikeshardware.co.uk/RoadmapQ307.htm
Looks like it is worth waiting for.

This is likely where he got his info...
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4184

Based on the transistor parametric data Intel has published over the years, these numbers sound about right....

JackExcept for the TDP of 57w. That's not on the VRZone's roadmap. I don't think i've seen that number published before...have you Jack?

Edit: Nevermind, i followed the 1st link below the roadmap....it's there. :oops: 
May 1, 2007 1:35:38 PM

Mobo is gonna be an ASUS P5N32-E SLI with the 680i chipset. It supports 1333mhz fsb so hopefully it will be compatable.. ASUS is usually pretty on top of things so I'm sure they'll have a nice BIOS revision by then.
May 1, 2007 2:34:38 PM

Quote:
they would've burnt you at the stake for witchcraft!

Wouldnt that hurt... A LOT?
May 1, 2007 3:15:50 PM

Quote:
they would've burnt you at the stake for witchcraft!

Wouldnt that hurt... A LOT?

I would've thought so. I think that's why they did it. Witchs weren't exactly the most liked of all people.
May 1, 2007 4:34:19 PM

Yeah. The other day one turned me into a newt.
May 1, 2007 5:29:27 PM

Quote:

A newt? You look perfectly fine to me!
May 2, 2007 1:23:56 PM

Quote:

I got better...
May 2, 2007 1:45:05 PM

Quote:

I got better...

Monty python :) 
May 2, 2007 3:01:55 PM

Quote:

I got better...

Monty python :) 
All hail Python. Greatest comedy since comedy.
May 2, 2007 3:53:08 PM

Penryn will still use LGA775.
Nehalem will switch to LGA1366 and LGA715 (I THINK it was 715)
!