Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can I Mix Memory Chip Sizes?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 30, 2005 6:50:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory chips,
184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want to add a 1GB
chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer, or otherwise
negatively affect performance if I use two different size memory chips?

Thanks!
Max.

More about : mix memory chip sizes

Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 30, 2005 6:50:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The different sizes will not necessisarily be detrimental, but you may be
exceeding the motherboard's limit. An excellent site to visit to see the
maximum amount of memory a motherboard will take is www.crucial.com

--
Don
Vancouver, USA


"Maxwell" <maxheadspace@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
news:5oSdnaFBcs7OTu7fRVn-pg@cablespeedmd.com...
>I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory chips,
>184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want to add a 1GB
>chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer, or otherwise
>negatively affect performance if I use two different size memory chips?
>
> Thanks!
> Max.
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 30, 2005 6:50:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Maxwell wrote:
> I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory
> chips, 184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want
> to add a 1GB chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer,
> or otherwise negatively affect performance if I use two different
> size memory chips?
>
> Thanks!
> Max.

The general answer is that "no" it won't have a negative effect. I'd suggest putting the !GB in the first slot. And move the lesser stick one slot back.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 30, 2005 6:50:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

How many memory slots do you have ? I assume that if the MB supports 2 GB,
then youn probably have 4 slots. Many of the MB memory slots have a certain
order that ythe chips should be placed in. As suggested before by others,
check the manual for the particular MB you have (if you don't have one, go to
the manufactures web site and download one from there) and it should show you
how to install memory and in what order.

Redwagon...........

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Maxwell wrote:
> > I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory
> > chips, 184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want
> > to add a 1GB chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer,
> > or otherwise negatively affect performance if I use two different
> > size memory chips?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Max.
>
> The general answer is that "no" it won't have a negative effect. I'd suggest putting the !GB in the first slot. And move the lesser stick one slot back.
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 30, 2005 7:02:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

From: "Maxwell" <maxheadspace@cablespeed.com>

| I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory chips,
| 184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want to add a 1GB
| chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer, or otherwise
| negatively affect performance if I use two different size memory chips?
|
| Thanks!
| Max.
|

It depends on the motherboard. Contact the PC manufacturer or motherboard vendor.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
April 30, 2005 8:05:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks Don! The motherboard handles up to 2 GB.

Max

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
news:1177le8avbul6d5@corp.supernews.com...
> The different sizes will not necessisarily be detrimental, but you may be
> exceeding the motherboard's limit. An excellent site to visit to see the
> maximum amount of memory a motherboard will take is www.crucial.com
>
> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA
>
>
> "Maxwell" <maxheadspace@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
> news:5oSdnaFBcs7OTu7fRVn-pg@cablespeedmd.com...
>>I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory chips,
>>184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want to add a
>>1GB chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer, or otherwise
>>negatively affect performance if I use two different size memory chips?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Max.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 1, 2005 1:02:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

A final caution-don't mix ram types. If your current ram type is sdram,
then
all new ram you install should sdram. Otherwise you could have weird
problems showing up.
"REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:45BBFAEB-2829-47DB-997A-698326447711@microsoft.com...
> How many memory slots do you have ? I assume that if the MB supports 2
GB,
> then youn probably have 4 slots. Many of the MB memory slots have a
> certain
> order that ythe chips should be placed in. As suggested before by
others,
> check the manual for the particular MB you have (if you don't have one,
go
> to
> the manufactures web site and download one from there) and it should
show
> you
> how to install memory and in what order.
>
> Redwagon...........
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> Maxwell wrote:
>> > I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory
>> > chips, 184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want
>> > to add a 1GB chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer,
>> > or otherwise negatively affect performance if I use two different
>> > size memory chips?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Max.
>>
>> The general answer is that "no" it won't have a negative effect. I'd
>> suggest putting the !GB in the first slot. And move the lesser stick
one
>> slot back.
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>
>>


--
I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
It has removed 36 spam emails to date.
Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 5, 2005 12:31:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Since he clearly said "DDR PC3200 " i think he knows which ram to get...
not sdram!

"riverdogs05" wrote:

> A final caution-don't mix ram types. If your current ram type is sdram,
> then
> all new ram you install should sdram. Otherwise you could have weird
> problems showing up.
> "REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:45BBFAEB-2829-47DB-997A-698326447711@microsoft.com...
> > How many memory slots do you have ? I assume that if the MB supports 2
> GB,
> > then youn probably have 4 slots. Many of the MB memory slots have a
> > certain
> > order that ythe chips should be placed in. As suggested before by
> others,
> > check the manual for the particular MB you have (if you don't have one,
> go
> > to
> > the manufactures web site and download one from there) and it should
> show
> > you
> > how to install memory and in what order.
> >
> > Redwagon...........
> >
> > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Maxwell wrote:
> >> > I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory
> >> > chips, 184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want
> >> > to add a 1GB chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer,
> >> > or otherwise negatively affect performance if I use two different
> >> > size memory chips?
> >> >
> >> > Thanks!
> >> > Max.
> >>
> >> The general answer is that "no" it won't have a negative effect. I'd
> >> suggest putting the !GB in the first slot. And move the lesser stick
> one
> >> slot back.
> >> --
> >> Maurice N
> >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> >> -----
> >>
> >>
>
>
> --
> I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.
> It has removed 36 spam emails to date.
> Paying users do not have this message in their emails.
> Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
>
>
>
!