Can I Mix Memory Chip Sizes?

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory chips,
184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want to add a 1GB
chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer, or otherwise
negatively affect performance if I use two different size memory chips?

Thanks!
Max.
7 answers Last reply
More about memory chip sizes
  1. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    The different sizes will not necessisarily be detrimental, but you may be
    exceeding the motherboard's limit. An excellent site to visit to see the
    maximum amount of memory a motherboard will take is www.crucial.com

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "Maxwell" <maxheadspace@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory chips,
    >184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want to add a 1GB
    >chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer, or otherwise
    >negatively affect performance if I use two different size memory chips?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Max.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Maxwell wrote:
    > I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory
    > chips, 184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want
    > to add a 1GB chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer,
    > or otherwise negatively affect performance if I use two different
    > size memory chips?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Max.

    The general answer is that "no" it won't have a negative effect. I'd suggest putting the !GB in the first slot. And move the lesser stick one slot back.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    How many memory slots do you have ? I assume that if the MB supports 2 GB,
    then youn probably have 4 slots. Many of the MB memory slots have a certain
    order that ythe chips should be placed in. As suggested before by others,
    check the manual for the particular MB you have (if you don't have one, go to
    the manufactures web site and download one from there) and it should show you
    how to install memory and in what order.

    Redwagon...........

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > Maxwell wrote:
    > > I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory
    > > chips, 184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want
    > > to add a 1GB chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer,
    > > or otherwise negatively affect performance if I use two different
    > > size memory chips?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Max.
    >
    > The general answer is that "no" it won't have a negative effect. I'd suggest putting the !GB in the first slot. And move the lesser stick one slot back.
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----

  4. Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    From: "Maxwell" <maxheadspace@cablespeed.com>

    | I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory chips,
    | 184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want to add a 1GB
    | chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer, or otherwise
    | negatively affect performance if I use two different size memory chips?
    |
    | Thanks!
    | Max.

    It depends on the motherboard. Contact the PC manufacturer or motherboard vendor.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Thanks Don! The motherboard handles up to 2 GB.

    Max

    "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    > The different sizes will not necessisarily be detrimental, but you may be
    > exceeding the motherboard's limit. An excellent site to visit to see the
    > maximum amount of memory a motherboard will take is www.crucial.com
    >
    > --
    > Don
    > Vancouver, USA
    >

    > "Maxwell" <maxheadspace@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory chips,
    >>184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want to add a
    >>1GB chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer, or otherwise
    >>negatively affect performance if I use two different size memory chips?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Max.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    A final caution-don't mix ram types. If your current ram type is sdram,
    then
    all new ram you install should sdram. Otherwise you could have weird
    problems showing up.
    "REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How many memory slots do you have ? I assume that if the MB supports 2
    GB,
    > then youn probably have 4 slots. Many of the MB memory slots have a
    > certain
    > order that ythe chips should be placed in. As suggested before by
    others,
    > check the manual for the particular MB you have (if you don't have one,
    go
    > the manufactures web site and download one from there) and it should
    show
    > you
    > how to install memory and in what order.
    >
    > Redwagon...........
    >
    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Maxwell wrote:
    >> > I have a Celeron based PC motherboard which uses DDR PC3200 memory
    >> > chips, 184 pin. I currently have installed one 512 MB chip, but want
    >> > to add a 1GB chip in the other bank. Will it slow down the computer,
    >> > or otherwise negatively affect performance if I use two different
    >> > size memory chips?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> > Max.
    >>
    >> The general answer is that "no" it won't have a negative effect. I'd
    >> suggest putting the !GB in the first slot. And move the lesser stick
    one
    >> slot back.
    >> --
    >> Maurice N
    >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
    >> -----

    It has removed 36 spam emails to date.
    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Since he clearly said "DDR PC3200 " i think he knows which ram to get...
    not sdram!

    "riverdogs05" wrote:

    > A final caution-don't mix ram types. If your current ram type is sdram,
    > then
    > all new ram you install should sdram. Otherwise you could have weird
    > problems showing up.
    > "REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How many memory slots do you have ? I assume that if the MB supports 2
    > GB,
    > > then youn probably have 4 slots. Many of the MB memory slots have a
    > > certain
    > > order that ythe chips should be placed in. As suggested before by
    > others,
    > > check the manual for the particular MB you have (if you don't have one,
    > go
    > > the manufactures web site and download one from there) and it should
    > show
    > > you
    > > how to install memory and in what order.
    > >
    > > Redwagon...........

    > >> The general answer is that "no" it won't have a negative effect. I'd
    > >> suggest putting the !GB in the first slot. And move the lesser stick
    > one
    > >> slot back.
    > >> --
    > >> Maurice N