About Norton360, restart still required after update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I have a question that I couldn't resolve looking on the net.

I used Norton a few years ago but dropped it, even tough I liked it, because of constant need to reboot after important update.

Now that I have my new PC with dual-boot (XP home and Vista Home Premium 64-bit), I'm thinking about going back to it after the numerous positive review I've seen about it and all the included tools. You can also add to this the possibility for 3 different PC install for the same price, so my 2 OS and my laptop will be on it. The only thing I couldn't find was if it's still needed to reboot after important update, and how often if yes.

Thanks for your input.

Solution
I've been using Internet Security for several years and I just installed 360 on my 64-bit system. It seems to work just fine.

As far as rebooting the machine, that would be necessary on any software that is replacing a loaded .dll. I know it is not necessary when downloading virus and other signature files. I haven't had to reboot mine at all since I've had it installed and I use the liveupdate system every day so I know it is getting regular updates.

Good luck.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I've been using Internet Security for several years and I just installed 360 on my 64-bit system. It seems to work just fine.

As far as rebooting the machine, that would be necessary on any software that is replacing a loaded .dll. I know it is not necessary when downloading virus and other signature files. I haven't had to reboot mine at all since I've had it installed and I use the liveupdate system every day so I know it is getting regular updates.

Good luck.

Solution

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Thanks. I install it on both my Vista 64-bit desktop and my 32-bit WXP laptop and it works fine on both system. Actually, it seems to work better on Vista, as it seems to make start-up longer on my laptop which use XP. I don't know if it's the OS or just the fact that my laptop is a CeleronM 370 and my desktop a E6600 at 3.0GHZ. It might very well be the cpu that makes the difference.

Like I said, the only thing I dislike is that it's ressource heavy at start-up on my laptop) but afer 2-3 minutes it just "disappear" and you don't feel it at all.

I'd say 8 out of 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.