What are the first things you do to a new computer?

tobias_funke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I have just finished assembling my new computer, and I'm wondering what you guys do to your computer first (after the drivers are in.) I have a feeling I should be running some diagnostic stuff (like memtest) and possibly changing some system settings.

Here's my list:
-Turn off all sounds
-Increase resolution
-change theme in XP to "classic mode"
-change all folder views to "detailed", display extensions, view hidden files
-add Quicklaunch shortcuts
-Uninstall MS junk
-change mouse settings

Install:
-Firefox & extensions
-Winrar
-Adobe Acrobat
-Peerguardian

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Leave everything stock, except for mobo's where you need to manually adjust your RAM timings and voltage. Run Memtest from a boot disk for 5 passes, hopefully you get no errors. Then run Orthos for a few hours 1-3+, after those stress tests have completed without error your probaly in good shape. You can run stuff like 3DMark06 to test your graphics performance to make sure things on that end are good. If you plan on OC'ing, rinse and repeat until you are stable. As for your bios others can comment. I have only built 3 PC's and the above things are what I do, info gained from reading the various posts here.

Good luck :)

Windows Update, AVG anti-virus, zonealarm.

A little out of order - antivirus, firewall, then Windows Update. Then image the drive. Then install your usual applications and utilities and image the drive again, building a recovery disk.

This way, when - not if - something bad happens, you don't have to start at the beginning.

heltoupee

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Test-build outside the case first - MB, RAM, CPU, and PSU. Make sure it POSTs

build in case. POST again.

Boot Ubuntu Feisty CD.

Get and install vid card drivers

apt-get install beryl beryl-manager

Play with wobbly windows for awhile. (This gets old after about 2 weeks ;) )

Install Firefox addons: del.icio.us bookmarks, AdBlock Plus, DownThemAll, Greasemonkey, FireBug, Gspace.