Building new PC, need advice on ram

SpawnNZ

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Currently i have an AMD X2 6000 AM2, 8800GTX MSI K9N Plat and was wandering what ram to get????

I'm not planning on OC and was wandering if there would be much of a difference between the valueram and the top name brands if im not going to overclock, and also is there much of a difference between the DDR2-667 and 800?

Sorry for the newb question

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
There is no difference in performance between any RAM.

The only reason to buy higher clocked RAM is to be able to overclock the FSB higher and that is in order to overclock ur CPU.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

I have to disagree with this as stated, there might be little difference with RAM rated at the same speed and latency but usually with higher priced RAM you are paying for tighter timings which will result in increased performance. Also 800 will run faster than 667.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

I have to disagree with this as stated, there might be little difference with RAM rated at the same speed and latency but usually with higher priced RAM you are paying for tighter timings which will result in increased performance. Also 800 will run faster than 667.

The tighter timings dont yield much better performance, and even if they did it would only be in the 1-3% field wich isnt worth an extra cent.

SpawnNZ

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007

How much faster though?, will i notice a huge performance increase?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

How much faster though?, will i notice a huge performance increase?

Do u want me to laugh at u?

Ok, ill be serious.. maybe 1%. But dont PANIC!! it will probably be less..