fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Hi.
Have XPsp2. Lately my comp will boot into windows and I'll ge the main window. It then shuts down and reboots without bluescreen but then says on next boot which is always normal that there was a serious error. It says its a stop code. On occassion it will do this with BF2142 and I get an F4 stop code with that. I updated my catalyst drivers and that issue appears to be less than before. More distubing to me is this first boot issue it'll shut down at the first Windows XP into window or just as it starts loading. After that it boots fine and there are no problems. I've run memtest and the sticks are good. Any suggestions? I was thinking about reformatting my HDD anyway but didnt know if it was a windows issue or some other hardware prob. I dont think it my PSU.
Specs:
Gigabyte GA-m59SLI-5 mobo (BIOS F5)with AMD64X24600+
2x1GB Corsair PC26400, PC PW&C 750 Silent PSU, 2x160GB WD Caviar HDD, X1900XT 512MB graphics. Case is a Gigabyte 3D Aurora. Core temps 29/32 at idle.

Thanks.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I would first run the diagnostic/repair software from your hard drive mfg on a Floppy just to make sure there is nothing wrong with the drive and then reinstall Windows. If you can boot into Windows, most likely a Windows problem, very possible a driver problem. If you were thinking about reinstalling Windows anyway, likely to be less time consuming to just do the installation as to try to figure out what the problem is.

fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Thanks g-paw. I did do f-disk and the drive seems to be working right. I noted the boot issue when I changed the clock setting off daylight savings. After one reboot it was automatically set back to daylight svings hours. It still has done it since then, so I dont think this is the problem.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks g-paw. I did do f-disk and the drive seems to be working right. I noted the boot issue when I changed the clock setting off daylight savings. After one reboot it was automatically set back to daylight svings hours. It still has done it since then, so I dont think this is the problem.

There is a free program called Atomic Clock that will set your computer to the correct time. For some reason it comes up as spyware with Adaware and SpyBot and not sure why. I install, set the time and then uninstall it. Once uninstalled SpyBot and Adaware come up clean. I did run into a Boot problem recently installing a new mobo because the date/time was screwed up so I guess that can affect booting. I prefer the hdd mfg software over fdisk, it seems to correct some problems that fdsk doesn't. Hate hdd problems because it always seems to require a reinstall of Windows to get everything right, which is why, in addition to partitioning, I'm starting to put backup drives in my computers. At least you don't have to hassle with backing up data when this stuff happens.

fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Thanks.
Well it happened again tonight. Loaded to windows main screen and then rebooted. I did get a stop code tho:

0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8a75DA0, 0x8A757f14, 0x805D1142

When it rebooted, it loaded fine.
I ran memtest86 the other night for 6 1/2 hours without memory errors.
Have a feeling I'm goin to have to reformat my HDD.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks.
Well it happened again tonight. Loaded to windows main screen and then rebooted. I did get a stop code tho:

0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8a75DA0, 0x8A757f14, 0x805D1142

When it rebooted, it loaded fine.
I ran memtest86 the other night for 6 1/2 hours without memory errors.
Have a feeling I'm goin to have to reformat my HDD.

Unfrotunately, you're probably right. In my experience, formatting the hdd is the quickest and easiest way to solve hdd problems although on occasion using the hdd mfg repair software will sometimes correct the problem. Good luck