1080i hdtv and progressive scan DVD

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 4, 2004 9:22:19 AM

I have a 1080i HDTV JVC model 56WP74. It has a fantastic picture.
Currently I have an older regular DVD player, but was wanting to get a
progressive scan.

From what I have been reading it seems that a 1080i TV either can't be used
with progressive scan, or just can't take advantage of its features.

But then I see "1080i progressive scan" DVD players... I'm confused. Can
someone with more knowledge on this subject help me.

I want the best possible picture from DVD for my 1080i TV. What do you
suggest?
December 4, 2004 12:01:08 PM

1. Your set most likely ALREADY converts the 480i input of your current DVD
player to 480p. You will likely notice little if ANY change in your picture
quality.
2. By the same token, I never seen an HD set that will not display 480p
from an external source.

"CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote in message
>I have a 1080i HDTV JVC model 56WP74. It has a fantastic picture.
>Currently I have an older regular DVD player, but was wanting to get a
>progressive scan.
>
> From what I have been reading it seems that a 1080i TV either can't be
> used with progressive scan, or just can't take advantage of its features.
>
> But then I see "1080i progressive scan" DVD players... I'm confused. Can
> someone with more knowledge on this subject help me.
>
> I want the best possible picture from DVD for my 1080i TV. What do you
> suggest?

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 3:50:56 PM

"CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote in

> I have a 1080i HDTV JVC model 56WP74. It has a fantastic picture.
> Currently I have an older regular DVD player, but was wanting to get a
> progressive scan.

Read your TV's manual carefully. Is it capable of 480p as well as 1080i?
Mine switches automatically, depending on what is being input on the
component jacks.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

December 4, 2004 6:41:03 PM

The very expensive Zenith C34W23 accepts only interlaced.
"curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
> 1. Your set most likely ALREADY converts the 480i input of your current
> DVD player to 480p. You will likely notice little if ANY change in your
> picture quality.
> 2. By the same token, I never seen an HD set that will not display 480p
> from an external source.
>

> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote in message
>>I have a 1080i HDTV JVC model 56WP74. It has a fantastic picture.
>>Currently I have an older regular DVD player, but was wanting to get a
>>progressive scan.
>>
>> From what I have been reading it seems that a 1080i TV either can't be
>> used with progressive scan, or just can't take advantage of its features.
>>
>> But then I see "1080i progressive scan" DVD players... I'm confused.
>> Can someone with more knowledge on this subject help me.
>>
>> I want the best possible picture from DVD for my 1080i TV. What do you
>> suggest?

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 8:12:28 PM

CJ wrote:
> I have a 1080i HDTV JVC model 56WP74. It has a fantastic picture.
> Currently I have an older regular DVD player, but was wanting to get a
> progressive scan.
>
> From what I have been reading it seems that a 1080i TV either can't
> be used with progressive scan, or just can't take advantage of its
> features.
> But then I see "1080i progressive scan" DVD players... I'm confused.
> Can someone with more knowledge on this subject help me.
>
> I want the best possible picture from DVD for my 1080i TV. What do
> you suggest?

The upscaling DVD players (which is what you are describing) have a video
processing chip that take the 480i input and outputs a 1080i image to your
set. Many people like these players. Though the PQ isn't actually HD, most
say that it is clearer/sharper.

The AVS forums website has a lot of information on these.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 8:13:08 PM

Rene Garcia wrote:
> The very expensive Zenith C34W23 accepts only interlaced.

Ouch.....

> "curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
>> 1. Your set most likely ALREADY converts the 480i input of your
>> current DVD player to 480p. You will likely notice little if ANY
>> change in your picture quality.
>> 2. By the same token, I never seen an HD set that will not display
>> 480p from an external source.
>>

>> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote in message
>>> I have a 1080i HDTV JVC model 56WP74. It has a fantastic picture.
>>> Currently I have an older regular DVD player, but was wanting to
>>> get a progressive scan.
>>>
>>> From what I have been reading it seems that a 1080i TV either can't
>>> be used with progressive scan, or just can't take advantage of its
>>> features. But then I see "1080i progressive scan" DVD players... I'm
>>> confused. Can someone with more knowledge on this subject help me.
>>>
>>> I want the best possible picture from DVD for my 1080i TV. What do
>>> you suggest?
December 4, 2004 11:23:00 PM

Under $1000 WITH tuner does NOT qualify as "very expensive". In fact it
qualifies as downright cheap.

"Rene Garcia" <renjogar@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> The very expensive Zenith C34W23 accepts only interlaced.
> "curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
>> 1. Your set most likely ALREADY converts the 480i input of your current
>> DVD player to 480p. You will likely notice little if ANY change in your
>> picture quality.
>> 2. By the same token, I never seen an HD set that will not display 480p
>> from an external source.
>>

>> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a 1080i HDTV JVC model 56WP74. It has a fantastic picture.
>>>Currently I have an older regular DVD player, but was wanting to get a
>>>progressive scan.
>>>
>>> From what I have been reading it seems that a 1080i TV either can't be
>>> used with progressive scan, or just can't take advantage of its
>>> features.
>>>
>>> But then I see "1080i progressive scan" DVD players... I'm confused.
>>> Can someone with more knowledge on this subject help me.
>>>
>>> I want the best possible picture from DVD for my 1080i TV. What do you
>>> suggest?

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 7:37:44 AM

Unfortunately, I spent $2700 for it a couple of years ago.
> Under $1000 WITH tuner does NOT qualify as "very expensive". In fact it
> qualifies as downright cheap.
>

> "Rene Garcia" <renjogar@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> The very expensive Zenith C34W23 accepts only interlaced.
>> "curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
>>> 1. Your set most likely ALREADY converts the 480i input of your current
>>> DVD player to 480p. You will likely notice little if ANY change in your
>>> picture quality.
>>> 2. By the same token, I never seen an HD set that will not display 480p
>>> from an external source.
>>>

>>> "CJ" <chrisj@illicom.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 6:44:55 PM

The Bravo D2 is an upscaling DVD player that got good reviews on it's
1080i output. MSRP $249.00

I don't know if there is any other UPSCALING DVD players for under
say 4 or 5 bills..

--
Ric Seyler
Anonymous

RicSeyler wrote:
> The Bravo D2 is an upscaling DVD player that got good reviews on it's
> 1080i output. MSRP $249.00
>
> I don't know if there is any other UPSCALING DVD players for under
> say 4 or 5 bills..
>
> CJ wrote:
>
>> I have a 1080i HDTV JVC model 56WP74. It has a fantastic picture.
>> Currently I have an older regular DVD player, but was wanting to get
>> a progressive scan.
>>
>> From what I have been reading it seems that a 1080i TV either can't
>> be used with progressive scan, or just can't take advantage of its
>> features. But then I see "1080i progressive scan" DVD players... I'm
>> confused. Can someone with more knowledge on this subject help me.
>>
>> I want the best possible picture from DVD for my 1080i TV. What do
>> you suggest?

The Momitsu and NuoNeo (or is it NeoNuo?) both have had pretty good reviews
as well. Both in the low $200's.
!