Advice sought: Volume Control - always mutes after PC star..

When I boot up I hear the Windows XP jingle OK, but when everything
has loaded, the volume control in the task bar indicates the master
volume control is muted. No matter that I un-tick the master volume
mute control, the next time I boot up the XP jingle plays but then the
volume is muted again.

The problem has gone on for many months (both SP1 and through to the
SP2 upgrade), but whereas previously it was intermittent, it now
occurs most boot up times. I've download the latest AC97 sound driver
without any improvement.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Yours, in muted desperation ....

notme <notme@hotmail.com> wrote:

>When I boot up I hear the Windows XP jingle OK, but when everything
>has loaded, the volume control in the task bar indicates the master
>volume control is muted. No matter that I un-tick the master volume
>mute control, the next time I boot up the XP jingle plays but then the
>volume is muted again.

Create a new usser account and check if this happens here as well. If
no, copy your old account to the new one.
"How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151)

--
(tm)

milt