Need driver for a Samsung LCD TV LN-T2353H

NicTyn

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
The POS manufacturer's website claims to have support, but their live chat is always down and the support section doesn't actually HAVE pc drivers, or at least for the LN-T2353H model. Any help would be appreciated. Without the driver I'm currently forced in a god awful resolution at a flickering 60Hz. The TV I'm using as a monitor is Plug and Play compliant and Windows 7 device manager detects it as a "Generic PnP Monitor" if that information helps. I can't think of any other information to share other than I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition x64 on a high-end self-built gaming computer so ask if you need more. Thanks.

EDIT: I checked the manufacturer's website as well as Driver Genius and Google. Nothing.

Solution

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Checking in the product manual, for monitor use, For 1360 x 768 pixels, 1024 by 768 or 800 x 600, the only choice for refresh rate is “60 Hz”. The only other choice is to set the resolution at 740 by 400 (IBM Mode) where the resolution is 70 Hz.

There is no driver to change the refresh rate. It is engineered that way.

NicTyn

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
In other words, I need a new tv/monitor. $600+ is steep for this crappy thing that can't even run progressive HD at 30 Hz and I can't return it. (Decent resolution defaults to 30Hz INTERLACED and at that rate the flicker is the entire screen at once; the blinking is terrible. It's illegal for salesmen to say this is 1080p.) Just to get an understandable flicker I'm stuck with 1360x768 at 60Hz.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi Nic,

The answer to your question is yes, the TV monitor is fixed at 60 Hz.
However, I don't think that is the problem.

The older TV tube resolution was ~ 640x240 set at 29.97 FPS. There with rapid motion you could see flicker.

The LCD TVs initially were set at 60 Hz, then 120 Hz, now the high end ones are 240 Hz. That is fixed, you can't change it. But at 60 Hz, they are not refreshing 60 times a second like an AC current light bulb. It's only when the color changes at a pixil does it change. Yes, with very fast motion like football games you could see 'stuttering', and that's why they engineered faster refresh rates for the pixils.

The resolution and refresh rate are different. The resolution can be 2560 x 1600, 1600 x 1200, 1080 x 1024, etc but the refresh rate for LCD or LED screens is going to be 60 or 72 whatever that monitor can handle. I have a higher end Sony monitor here, set at 1024 x 768 using an AMD 5850 Video card and the only refresh rate is 60 Hz. I don't see any flickering.

Would think you would see some flickering if your rapid motion games were faster than 60 FPS, but most of the time it is less than that.
Might try to match your computer resolution to the TV and see if possibly it's just not synched correctly.

Hopefully we will get some other opinions as to what's going on.

vertigo2720

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Unfortunately if your salesman said that TV was 1080p, he was not correct. If you bought it recently and would rather have a 1080p model, I'd suggest returning it, as there's no way to get around this limitation. The reason you can only achieve a "decent" resolution at 30hz is simply because of the TV's need to be HDTV standards compliant. While the panel is only 1366x768 @60hz (720p), it needs to accept 1920x1080 @ 30hz (1080i) to be able to receive and display signal from antenna sources and other devices capable of HD, but not in it's full form (1080p). 30hz appears flickery because it's an interlaced signal, displaying only half of the 1080 total lines per refresh (with a total of 30 refreshes per second, quite low for most newer sources). This is how all old CRTs were, but it's extremely noticeable on LCDs and Plasmas. 60hz is "progressive", which displays all of the lines at once, every refresh (720p would be 720 lines per refresh, 60 refreshes per second).

NicTyn

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
@john: I think you may have misunderstood somewhat. The TV will run at 60Hz progressive ONLY if the resolution is 1360x768 or lower, (Which is a comfortable, hardly noticible flicker,) but if I set the resolution to 1920x1080 (HD) the Hz rate is forced down to 30 and interlaced at that. That is where the god awful, eye hurting flicker comes in. The TV supposedly supports HD at 60Hz, but such is not the case. The salesman was misinformed or was blatently lying. That is the point I'm getting at put more simply. I was looking to see if there was a driver issue preventing me from getting 60Hz at HD resolution, but now I think the TV was marketed illegitimately.

@vertigo: I am perfectly aware of all the current technology, as I am currently a year into computer service technician & networking training at acollege credit vocational school and have experienced as well as loved modern technology since I could walk. I'm using a Monster brand HDMI standard bandwidth cable ($60) for the TV - PC connection, so it is not a matter of source.

The main point: I came here for a driver I couldn't find, and I got ripped on a TV that won't support full HD at anything above interlaced 30Hz. I guess I'll have to use 1360x768 for my games.

Also @vertigo: If you read the whole post, you'd know I can't return the TV. No receipt, no box, it's a year or so late. I'm only using this TV now as a computer monitor because my high-end CRT monitor *** itself, so to speak.

EDIT: Also, I have a brand new NVIDIA GeForce 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB GPU, and I checked the aforementioned HDMI cable so it is the TV and only the TV that is at fault here. The only thing I have left to say is that I unchecked the box for "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display." and went to use 60Hz at 1920x1080 and the TV blacked out with a messy looking text saying "Mode not supported." so at this point there's nothing I can do but suck it up and use 1360x768 on a fraudulent HDTV. Thanks anyway.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi Nic,
You may know better than most, learning about the HD inputs at school. Many of the LCD, LED HD TV's have HDMI inputs that will take 1080p 60 Hz, which is what the blueray format is. That may be the engineering shortcoming for this model and where the sale'person' misled you.

Solution

NicTyn

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Summing this up, I FINALLY got ahold of Samsung live chat support and they confirmed that there are no firmware updates or drivers for this model. Whoop-de-freakin-doo...

Somewhat off-topic follows:

john_VanKirk wrote: "Would think you would see some flickering if your rapid motion games were faster than 60 FPS, but most of the time it is less than that."

On most games I play with extreme settings and still get 100+ FPS, but I sometimes use vertical-synchronization which guarantees against the flicker you describe here. (Which I have never actually experienced too much FPS causing flicker, but so be it. I believe you are referring to screen tearing, which is a different issue caused by too much FPS.) V-sync works by throttling the GPU back to an FPS that shares the same rate as the output device. Therefore, if your TV/monitor is refreshing at 60Hz, or cycles per second, then the GPU will only output 60 frames per second, or some fraction/factor of that, whatever the case may be. It basically halts the GPU until the next screen's refresh.