Does EPP matter?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Enhanced Performance Profiles.

They are found on some high-end memory modules and allegedly allow for better performance or overclockability on nVidia nForce motherboards.

These are the best memory modules u can find today:
19295278sj7.jpg

Does anyone know wich of those has EPP and if it actually matters (cosidering i actually do have a 680i SLi motherboard)?

Thnx!

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I don't really know anything about "EPP" but I'm still fairly sure the correct answer is: No.

As long as the SPD info on your memory will allow it to at least post stably at default settings you can just set your memory setting manually after that.

http://computershopper.com/shoptalk/2006/05/15/post

As far as I can tell all EPP does is add a second set of SPD settings that may do things such as specify higher voltage, frequency, and speed than the RAM could achieve while being spec compliant allowing the user to easily select the "high-performance" settings from BIOS. The whole 1.8v thing where some RAM wouldn't post in some Motherboards because the RAM wasn't spec compliant so the motherboard didn't understand/support the SPD info and the stupid people would get all upset when their DDR2-1000 would boot up for the first time at DDR2-667 (there's a million reviews on newegg of people complaining about such things).

What would be nice is if EPP also included a mechanism for re-clocking the ram from spec-compliant to OCed without rebooting as a power saving feature. So while you're playing a video game you have 2.2v DDR2-1066 but when you're just web-browsing it's 1.4v DDR2-533.