My custom rig is having some problems!!

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
First of all, my custom rig has been acting unusual for me lately. Things seem to get 'stuck' so to speak and some programs take a bit to open at first ( EX: Outlook, Media Player and Zune software)
Now:
I have two anti-spyware programs that have been updated and run multiple times.
I have an anti-virus program that hasn't found anything recently (only once did it mention "You have these..." and those should've been fixed)
I have ran defrag, chkdsk, and scandisk, however ,none of these find any issues.

So, my question is would it be better if I just backupped my data and re-install everything?
I dont' have alot of things installed so I don't mind re-install ing stuff..

Thanks.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I use eZ antivirus, but when I have problems, I use Avast! (a really REALLY good AV..)
I don't use Avast! because it conflicts with my firewall and I have not taken the time to find a good, free firewall and work with it...

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Task manager jsut comes up with 0 percent cpu usage usually. I use the EZ firewall, which I believe is a bit similar to zone alarm.
I think I will try zone alarm and/or sygate becasue the EZ firewall is kind of weird anyways.

Thanks

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You could try kerio which is a great free firewall and it works with avast! I was using that till I got a router with a hardware firewall.

Dan1317

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Just be sure to have only one firewall and one active anti-virus running at once or you could have conflicts, hope all goes well for you.
Also, I just noticed I didn't have a link to Avast if you wanted to use it but here it is
Avast!

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks.

Choknuti, would you recommend a router with a good, built in firewall?
I have a SWITCH, but it isn't a router...(was a free-b)
Maybe, that'd be a good option for me..make things a bit faster on my end..

I already have Avast! but do not use it regularly. If I have time, I will try a different firewall and switch my AV to avast!..

Thanks for all of your input.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I am using a d-Link 500t and despite what people have to say about d-link I am very happy with it. Note this is a ADSL modem/router so if you want a stand alone or cable modem/router you'll have to look for another model.

Also this doesn't support QoS so if you are sharing your connection and want to control how much other people get this model is not for you.