prodigy911

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
my cpu idles at about 53c and my gpu idles between 52-58c....and this is with the side cover off with a fan blowing into it...my room is the hottest in the house...help plz

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yeah it can. Electric bills might be a bit high though. Your not going to use the pc 24/7 either, just shut the thing off when you go to sleep. If you ARE going to use it 24/7, for Folding, torrents, it's a server, ect., get used to the noise.

Another option would be a hsf upgrade for both the gpu and cpu, which would help your temps alot. Not nearly as much as lowering the ambient temp of the room, but it'll still help.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Yeah it can. Electric bills might be a bit high though. Your not going to use the pc 24/7 either, just shut the thing off when you go to sleep. If you ARE going to use it 24/7, for Folding, torrents, it's a server, ect., get used to the noise.

Another option would be a hsf upgrade for both the gpu and cpu, which would help your temps alot. Not nearly as much as lowering the ambient temp of the room, but it'll still help.

A better HSF will lower the temps of the cpu and gpu themselves. It will have absolutely NO effect on the overall temperature in the room. The total amount of heat generated by the computer is independent of how it is cooled.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Umm... Did I say it would?

Sorry, I guess you didn't.
I just interpreted the op's problem as his room is getting hot because of his computer.

To prodigy911: What is the problem? Are you worried about your cpu being too hot or your room being too hot? Old cpu's like yours normally run hot. What is the temperature at 100% load? So unless you are trying to OC it, you are probably fine. You will not be able to get great cooling from any cooler if the ambient air is hot.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I think it's the former.

For the cpu get a Thermalright Ultra 120+ (or Extreme, they're the same), Tuniq Tower 120, or Thermalright Ultra 120. They're the top 3 hsf's on the market today. If you get one of the Thermalright's, you'll have to get a 120mm fan, look for a high CFM. The Scythe S-Flex fans are pretty good, Delta makes pretty good fans as well. The gpu cooler on the other hand, may be a little difficult. That card is getting up there in age, and I cant find any newer hsf's that'll work with it.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Well, you could get a Thermaltake Big Typhoon, the lastest model uses the same push-pin design as the Intel stock cooler. The Scythe Ninja would work also.

I havent heard too much about that hsf, but it looks alot better then the stock cooler, and the reviews are favorable.

prodigy911

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
looks like i cant install a new cpu cooler without taking out my motherboard...and i dont really have time for that..thanks for the help

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
You dont have to take out the mobo when installing a cooler with the Intel push-pin things. The only time you HAVE to remove to mobo is if the cooler comes with a backplate.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Those are the best I know of which do not require removing the mobo to install.

If you want a high CFM fan just replace the stock one on the Big Typhoon. All you have to do is remove 4 screws, lift the old fan off, lower the new one in place, and put the 4 screw back from whence they came.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
It's a proprietary design, you can replace the stock fan with another stock fan incase the thing breaks, but other then that no. 'Course, there's always a way, it would require a bunch of cable ties, a drill with a bit capable of drilling through aluminium, and the knowledge that you're voiding the warranty like nothing else could, but you could do it.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
45 CFM is pretty low. The NF-S12-1200 is a fan made by Noctua, a company known for their ultra low noise but horribly inefficent fans, and it pushes 48 CFM. Look for a fan with a CFM of 80+. This fan is pretty cheap, it wont rape your ear drums, and it has a pretty high CFM.