Help with Sony HDTV and ATI card.

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 4, 2004 12:07:26 PM

Setup: I have an ATI x700Pro in a new HP computer running MCE 2005.
The card is attached to my Sony kp46wt510 rear proj TV via the dvi out
on the card and dvi in on the tv.

Problem: The image on the screen is crisp, but overscanned and neither
ATI controls nor MCE will let me go above 640x480.

Alternative: Using the s-video to component adapter that came with the
card, I can get the image size adjusted perfectly on the TV, but the
quality is terrible (I can hardly read the text).

Solution: ...................?

Would a VGA to component or DVI to component adapter help at all?

Thanks,

Doc

More about : sony hdtv ati card

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:52:44 PM

"PC" <powdercarrot@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Setup: I have an ATI x700Pro in a new HP computer running MCE 2005.
> The card is attached to my Sony kp46wt510 rear proj TV via the dvi out
> on the card and dvi in on the tv.
>
> Problem: The image on the screen is crisp, but overscanned and neither
> ATI controls nor MCE will let me go above 640x480.
>
> Alternative: Using the s-video to component adapter that came with the
> card, I can get the image size adjusted perfectly on the TV, but the
> quality is terrible (I can hardly read the text).
>
> Solution: ...................?
>
> Would a VGA to component or DVI to component adapter help at all?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doc

I have a 9800 Pro and I use the DVI out to my DLP HDTV set. I could not get
beyond 720X480 until I used Rage 3D tweek and Power strip, I don't know
which one actually worked, but I finally got it to output 1080i on the DVI
connector, and it looks great. I use Zoom player and FFDshow to up convert
DVD playback to 1080i and noise reduce and sharpen the output and it looks
great, very close to HDTV quality. See http://www.avsforum.com/ for more
info.

You can only get SDTV from the S-video connector. I know some use the VGA
to component adapter that you can get from ATI and it has a switch to set
the output to 480p or 720p or 1080i, so if you cannot get the DVI to work
then analog RGB component should work. if you TV set uses tubes for the
display, then the analog component is just fine.

Mike T
!