Sign in with
Your question

Ethernet issues

Last response: in Networking
May 9, 2007 2:20:43 AM

I recently got a new motherboard and now I cannot connect to the internet at all. I installed all the drivers that came with it. When I plug in the ethernet cable it looks like its trying to talk, but not getting any signals back. I have it plugged into a router so I by passed it and still nothing. I even got a different ethernet card and go the same thing. I did have the internet working for a bit using a usb ethernet peice, but after a while it started making the computer restart its self at different intervals.

Any settings or ideas for what i need to be looking at? I have the most current drivers as well.

More about : ethernet issues

May 12, 2007 1:11:18 AM

If you know the router IP can you ping it? From a cmd window try ping follwed by IP address. If you don't know it try to ping 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1.

Bad NIC (ethernet card) driver?

Look in device manager and see if the NIC properties says it is working.

Maybe download the NIC driver on a working PC and burn to CD or USB drive or ??? and install it?

Is this the XP install from the old MoBo? If so, get your data off to an ext HD, 10 DVD's, a million CDs, a zillion Floppies, or ??? and reinstall XP or do an XP repair.
May 12, 2007 1:12:24 AM

what do you get if you open a command window and enter:

[code:1:4097863a44]ipconfig /all[/code:1:4097863a44]
Related resources
June 1, 2007 3:37:00 AM

for some reason im having this same problem.. but i dont get it because before the internet worked through the router.. but now i dont get any packets.. but wen i connect the ethernet cord directly to the modem it works fine,.. any ideas?
June 1, 2007 3:26:24 PM

A lot of cable companies have a lock on the MAC address of the NIC attached to their cable modem.

If you have a router in place, it locks on to that for a set amount of time. If you switched out NICs or Motherboards NICs, you'll have this problem.

Unplug the power from your cable modem, switch your NICs out. I think its 10 or 15 minutes for my cable company, but power back on and it should pick up the new MAC address and lock onto that. It might be shorter, might be longer. You may also need to contact your ISP to tell them you switched out your NIC and they'll be able to refresh that connection. I would only call them after you attemped to turn off the cable modem for a short period of time.
June 2, 2007 5:48:09 AM

hmm kinda just gave up.. that router was pretty old.. it was given to me.. it was a dlink DI 624 pretty old.. just gonna try to get a new one see what happens
!