need to be a 100% sure before i buy a psu!!

suicidalwatcher

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
before i buy a new psu i have a few questions

1)are all psus the same size?
2)if i have an atx450. psu and i buy a atx12v will it fit in my case
3)do all psus fit in every case? if not how do i know if the psu im buying will fit?

i only have a few hours to know so please answer me quickly!!

1) No. Some PSUs are made by the same company and then re-branded as something else, while others are not. Go to the PSU 101 and reference list to get an idea of what to look for.

2)Yes. ATX 12v is the newer standard, but are compatible with older cases with a few exceptions.

3)No. Check the dimensions of both PSUs and compare them, but if you are looking at a ATX 12v it will fit in your atx case. They do make PSUs that are specifically made to fit better in mATX and BTX cases, but they are rare and usually more expensive and underpowered.

List your system specs and any units you are looking at for more help.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
ok well that didnt really answered my question will a atx12v fit in my case? i need to know!!!

It would be best if you could tell us exactly what case you have and what is in the rest of your system in order to completely answer your question. mpilchfamily has some great information in his sig to determine which PSU is best for your needs. Generally a low to mid powered ATX PSU will fit in most ATX cases the only real issue being when you run into extra long PSU's which are all extreme high powered PSU's like the PC Power and Cooling 1000 or the Enermax Galaxy 1000.

As mpilchfamily said ATX12v is not a measure of the external dimensions of a PSU but rather a new standard for connectivity.

Have you tried taking a ruler or tape measure and measuring the dimensions in the case and then comparing to the dimensions of the PSU? If you want us to help you, then you have to tell us the specific case and PSU that you are trying to figure out.

TRENDING THREADS