NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT problem (Code 12)

giper54

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I have a year old Polywell with 2 gb of RAM, AMD 4800 and a NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT card and a Samsung 970P monitor. Recently my screen has slowed down and when I scroll up and down instead of scrolling smoothly it scrolls one section of a time and has become very choppy. I went to my device manager and under display adaptor the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT card has a exclamation point. When I went into the NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT card properties I get the following message for the device status:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

Is my graphics card dying?

When I go inside my computer and to make sure the graphic card is securely attached and put everything together, the graphic card works again and everything is fine. The next time I boot up the computer, the graphic card does not work and I get the same Code 12 problem.

Any advice on how to fix this.

bolt14

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I have a 7800GT (in a htcp comp.) and have never seen that before. Have you tried uninstalling the drivers, then using driver cleaner and installing the latest ones? Could make a world of difference. Also, it could be you have some bad memory chips on the card. What brand is it?

giper54

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I have installed the latest drivers and it did not make a difference. The brand is EVGA. The location of the card is PCI bus 3, devie O, function 0.I am also unable to access the NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager software from the Control Panel.

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Maybe you just have to free more irq. In your BIOS, shut down any stuff you don't use like Parallel Port, Serial Port, Game, Midi, Sound. This take up ressources, and probably one is conflicting.

You may also have to manually assign irq to PCI device you might have installed. But try to disable unused item first imo.

From Microsoft...

Code 12
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)

Recommended resolution

Two devices have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or a combination of the two). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device (for example, if a universal serial bus (USB) controller is not an interrupt from the BIOS because of a corrupted Multiprocessor System (MPS) table).

You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable the conflicting device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

giper54

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I have my
EVGA troubleshooting guide and it sates that

"The most common resource that is missing is called and IRQ. MOst Motherboards, have a BIOS setting called ASSIGN IRQ TO VGA. This setting neess to be changed to ENABLED. Then save the BIOS Settings and reboot into Windows."

How do I access my BIOS and check the IRQ?

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Usually at startup during POST, you press DELETE, and BIOS should come up. It might de different on your specific model, but it is like that for my eVGA and most mobo I think.

giper54

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I checked out my bios last night and all seemed well. When I turned on the computer this evenning, the video card is working. It did not work this morning or afternoon. I don't know why it is working now?

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Well if it work, don't touch it! :)

But I always disable Parallel Port, Serial Port, Game and Midi in the BIOS of all motherboard here because nothing I own use them anyway and it take up ressources.

It also can prevent eventual conflict.