Sign in with
Your question

I give up svchost.exe Help me Please!

Last response: in CPUs
April 30, 2007 11:19:31 PM

ok well i have had this problem for a number of weeks now but i cant get rid of it.. when i boot up my computer this damn process svchost.exe takes 99% of my cpu... so i litterally can do nothing but ctrl alt del.. and then end it. but when i do that my sound doesnt work

i have gone on to the internet in search for a solution, and they said to clean ur registry, so i got a program to do it, and nothing... some say spyware is the problem, so i scan my computer with zone alarm (the deep inspection scan) that takes over 7 hours and goes literally byte for byte...

i dont know what else to do and i most certainly dont want to re format my hard drive, so can someone please shed some light on my dire situation..?

thanks a ton

o btw im very sorry for posting here

More about : give svchost exe

April 30, 2007 11:20:40 PM

Quote:
ok well i have had this problem for a number of weeks now but i cant get rid of it.. when i boot up my computer this damn process svchost.exe takes 99% of my cpu... so i litterally can do nothing but ctrl alt del.. and then end it. but when i do that my sound doesnt work

i have gone on to the internet in search for a solution, and they said to clean ur registry, so i got a program to do it, and nothing... some say spyware is the problem, so i scan my computer with zone alarm (the deep inspection scan) that takes over 7 hours and goes literally byte for byte...

i dont know what else to do and i most certainly dont want to re format my hard drive, so can someone please shed some light on my dire situation..?

thanks a ton

Sounds like a driver problem. Get a new sound card driver.
April 30, 2007 11:31:24 PM

my mobo is quite old and when i try to look for drivers, it always is very confusing and not clear so since i have an integrated sound card in my motherboard.. i never know which to choose

and if i do end up finding it, i just remove the old and put the new one on? as i would a graphics card driver?
Related resources
April 30, 2007 11:53:49 PM

Quote:
my mobo is quite old and when i try to look for drivers, it always is very confusing and not clear so since i have an integrated sound card in my motherboard.. i never know which to choose

and if i do end up finding it, i just remove the old and put the new one on? as i would a graphics card driver?

Yep. Most onboard sound is the same RealTek chip.
May 1, 2007 12:07:42 AM

i got the new driver for my integrated sound card.. but still same problem.. :S

btw my motherboard is the Asus p4s8x

my pc is extremely old lol, but with upgraded ram to 2 gig, and a bfg 6600 GT OC

btw guys thanks for the links :) 
May 1, 2007 12:20:27 AM

Quote:
i got the new driver for my integrated sound card.. but still same problem.. :S

btw my motherboard is the Asus p4s8x

my pc is extremely old lol, but with upgraded ram to 2 gig, and a bfg 6600 GT OC

btw guys thanks for the links :) 

Maybe if you have an extra PCI slot you can get an OEM Sound Blaster.

$28.99
May 1, 2007 12:59:03 AM

Turn Off automatic updates from Windows XP and your problem will disappear my friend. Some times Microsoft simply sucks :p 
May 1, 2007 1:29:58 AM

hahahah that made me laugh :lol: 

if it is as simple as that i will be simply overjoyed :D 

but how would i go about turning it off? thanks
May 1, 2007 3:37:01 AM

Quote:

thanks a ton

zone alarm is no way that good on detecting spyware than a combo of spybot search & destroy + adaware

anyway your problem for mypoint of view could be a trojan infecting your kernel and core files..
that 99% usage happened to me waaaaaaaaaaaay long ago by a subseven virus.. not sure how strong they are now...but it was quite a fight to remove it.

*edit*
before I forget.. be careful!
some troyans and viruses do hide very well using similar names of the offical windows ones
]I've seen quite a bit of them using schost32l or with diferent words but still, using svhost nonetheless, to hide...
May 1, 2007 3:41:10 AM

heed the advice and read the info@the link!

Quote:

BS

Eat ME! Stay where you were if that's your level of comment.

HAH it's baron... your avatar is at most, laughable (actually, it DOES make me grin everytime I see it)

actually, today I have to agree with noblekitty... in the past 4 weeks, I've had 4 SVCHost.exe's running amok just like his, and they always turned out to be viruses or spyware infections...

as a matter of fact, I had 1 come in today with the same story (I run a computer shop)...

a shot of superantispyware directly from the machine, and a dose of Norton Anti-Virus 2004 (which I can't stand, compared to Kaspersky) on a different machine (drive was a slave) cleared the problem right up...

sorry baron, maybe next time :lol: 
May 1, 2007 3:49:14 AM

you wouldn't happen to be running Cox security suite ?
May 1, 2007 4:12:10 AM

heed the advice and read the info@the link!

Quote:

BS

Eat ME! Stay where you were if that's your level of comment.

HAH it's baron... your avatar is at most, laughable (actually, it DOES make me grin everytime I see it)

actually, today I have to agree with noblekitty... in the past 4 weeks, I've had 4 SVCHost.exe's running amok just like his, and they always turned out to be viruses or spyware infections...

as a matter of fact, I had 1 come in today with the same story (I run a computer shop)...

a shot of superantispyware directly from the machine, and a dose of Norton Anti-Virus 2004 (which I can't stand, compared to Kaspersky) on a different machine (drive was a slave) cleared the problem right up...

sorry baron, maybe next time :lol: 

thats not always true
svhost can be runmultiple times depending what services are on, so it MIGHT be a legit svhost ...
example svhost controls networking, wireless, easy sharing, program connections, printer sharing..etc..

in a heavy optimized system, I still got 3 svhost running.
May 1, 2007 7:10:51 AM

Quote:
thats not always true
svhost can be runmultiple times depending what services are on, so it MIGHT be a legit svhost ...
example svhost controls networking, wireless, easy sharing, program connections, printer sharing..etc..

in a heavy optimized system, I still got 3 svhost running.

this is true, a system usually has between 3 and 6 svchost processes running at any given time... this laptop has 6 right now, and my desktop usually has 5...

there's 2 more possible causes that are related to my previous comment, however...

if it's not spyware / seperate virus causing the problem, you could have a legitimate svchost.exe file that's been infected by a virus...

you could also have windows loading up a dummy file svchost.exe which would be commonly located in C:\Windows\svchost.exe

best way to remove that file is to hook the drive up to another machine as a slave and remove it manually.. hope this helps you... - cheers
May 1, 2007 8:11:53 AM

I would try using more then one antivirus. In adition to the one you've got on your PC (I personally use AVGfree) you can use online scanners. Sometimes a certien AV program won't find the problem, this is true for all AV programs (and sometimes a virus can corrupt the AV or prevent you from installing another one).

try:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm
and/or
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

they both need IE (last time I've checked). I think the Panda scanner is better.
May 1, 2007 8:37:03 AM

Check if the process is svchost.exe with an O or if it is svch0st.exe with a Zero. If it is with a Zero than it is a trojan i think. If it is svchost.exe with the letter O then give it a try and turn off the auto updates. It will take only 5-10 minutes from your time to try this if it doesn't work you can turn them ON again.Go to the Control Panel and from the Security Center you can turn Auto Updates Off or ON.After tou turn Off the Auto Updates restart your PC and see what will happen.
May 1, 2007 9:11:49 AM

In task manager check which username (2nd column) is running "svchost" if its System, localhost or network service it should be legit, if it ur own username kill it!

also start > run > msconfig untick anything that you don't need

recently i had an onboard sound die, they are cheap.
May 1, 2007 9:59:16 AM

Quote:
dont turn off updates. Thats rediculous

No it's not rediculous, it's not even ridiculous.

Quote:
hen i boot up my computer this damn process svchost.exe takes 99% of my cpu

Anytime this has happened to me(on 3 diff comps) it has been because of automatic updates. Disable Automatic updates and then do a manual update at the end of every month.
May 1, 2007 10:27:28 AM

I have had this problem a lot.

Your problem is 99.9% Windows Update service. If you have automatic updates turned on your machine will connect to MS and search for info about any updates. It will then tell you "You have new updates click here" If you don't install the updates it then repeats the process again next time your restart your machine. The longer you leave it the more updates you require and so the longer svchost.exe will remain at 99% until windows update finishes checking for updates.

The main culprit for this seems to be the Genuine Validation Tool. Also this is a major fault with Windows Update Server (WSUS) trying to do office updates but there are patches for that from MS but i assume you aren't on a WSUS network.

Simple solution is to do all your updates. If you don't have a Genuine copy of Windows you will have to live with the nagware or "take Measures" and disable the Gen Valid Tool.

There are various Spywares/Malwares/trojans that will also cause this fault but with all thre free tools out there noone can have an excuse to be infected.

try www.avast.com and download the free virus software. Use Spybot and other free tools to check for malware etc.

You can of course do all your updates, switch off auto updates and check manually for updates periodically.
May 1, 2007 10:51:11 AM

I'm with you on this one.
It's a very well known problem with windows update, out of 3 computers i'm using, only one is affected by it.
There seem to be suggested fixes for it, but i haven't tried them yet, what i did is in fact just turn automatic updates off, and manually update once in a while.
May 1, 2007 10:57:28 AM

Most likely culprit. . . Virus/Trojan.
2nd most likely. . . install your f*ckin updates already.
3rd, Baron may be correct with the onboard drivers. They can be a PITA sometimes.
May 1, 2007 12:51:12 PM

Correction:

Most likely culprit. . . Windows Automatic Updates
2nd most likely. . . Virus/Trojan
3rd, Baron may be correct with the onboard drivers. They can be a PITA sometimes.
May 1, 2007 1:02:45 PM

Reminds me of that stupid damn Dumprep.exe thing that always hogs CPU resources when I have to end processes... I turn off error reporting and it still lags me up!
May 1, 2007 1:37:22 PM

Give the malware detector Prevx1 a try. I found it very effective in keeping malware at bay. The full program can be installed for free, but requires the purchase of a license after a certain time period. Good Luck
May 1, 2007 2:16:24 PM

Good grief, there's a simple way to see if it is related to any Windows component:

1. Go to Task Manager. Click the View menu, then click Select Columns. Check the Process Identifier (PID) checkbox and hit OK.
2. Check which process is using your CPU, and note its PID.
3. Now go to Start, then Run, and type cmd and hit OK.
4. Type:
tasklist /svc
5. Look for the PID you noted above, and note which services are under that process.
6. Try shutting down those services. You can do this by going to Start then Run and typing services.msc and hitting OK.
7. Locate the service and right click and click on Stop. Watch Task Manager while you do this so you can locate which service is using the CPU, as multiple services can use one process.

If it is not a Windows service, then you need to do your security scans to look for other causes. I have never seen a driver cause the svchost.exe process to use a lot of CPU. That doesn't mean it cannot happen, but you'd think a case of it would have occurred in the past 15 years.
May 1, 2007 2:52:26 PM

Quote:
dont turn off updates. Thats rediculous. do check the spyware. Spybot search and detroy is good also sysinternals has a rootkit revealer. It takes forever but its good.

Don't say it's ridiculous. I've had the exact same issue in our office complex. Once in a while automatic updates will do this, and the only way to fix it is to disable auto updates, reboot, run the updates manually, and reenable.

Now, I'm not saying this IS the issue in this case, but I can tell you from at least a dozen instances in our office, that it does happen. It's not ridiculous.

Microsoft even says so. Although this isn't the exact issue, but it involves 100% CPU usage, Windows Update and svchost.exe:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/916089
May 2, 2007 11:02:42 PM

so can someone please tell me hows i would go about turning auto updates off...

and yes i have about 20+ updates i have no installed.. Why you ask? well at the time i bought this pc i was a little short on cash... and lets put it this way, i can no longer validate my windows xp :D  ie cracked copy...

so how would i go about turning those blasted auto updates off??

thanks

*nvm i figured out how to turn them off, i will now go and check if that has solved this blasted problem...

YYYYYYYEAAAAAAAAAAAAA i restarted my pc and like magic it is working again :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 
thanks a ton everyone for all of the input
May 2, 2007 11:39:35 PM

Quote:
so can someone please tell me hows i would go about turning auto updates off...

and yes i have about 20+ updates i have no installed.. Why you ask? well at the time i bought this pc i was a little short on cash... and lets put it this way, i can no longer validate my windows xp :D  ie cracked copy...

so how would i go about turning those blasted auto updates off??

thanks

*nvm i figured out how to turn them off, i will now go and check if that has solved this blasted problem...

YYYYYYYEAAAAAAAAAAAAA i restarted my pc and like magic it is working again :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 
thanks a ton everyone for all of the input

run command: MSCONFIG

you can access services and startup programs and control what starts up and what runs. You could also gain access to services thru Control Panel: Admin: Services. That will let you disable anything you want.
You could also give PCPitstop.com a try and run the full test. It may give you some helpful tips on how to improve your performance. It's free.
May 2, 2007 11:54:27 PM

Or you could disable it the way it's supposed to be using start->settings->control panel->automatic updates-turn off automatic updates
!