I give up svchost.exe Help me Please!

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
ok well i have had this problem for a number of weeks now but i cant get rid of it.. when i boot up my computer this damn process svchost.exe takes 99% of my cpu... so i litterally can do nothing but ctrl alt del.. and then end it. but when i do that my sound doesnt work

i have gone on to the internet in search for a solution, and they said to clean ur registry, so i got a program to do it, and nothing... some say spyware is the problem, so i scan my computer with zone alarm (the deep inspection scan) that takes over 7 hours and goes literally byte for byte...

i dont know what else to do and i most certainly dont want to re format my hard drive, so can someone please shed some light on my dire situation..?

thanks a ton

o btw im very sorry for posting here

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
ok well i have had this problem for a number of weeks now but i cant get rid of it.. when i boot up my computer this damn process svchost.exe takes 99% of my cpu... so i litterally can do nothing but ctrl alt del.. and then end it. but when i do that my sound doesnt work

i have gone on to the internet in search for a solution, and they said to clean ur registry, so i got a program to do it, and nothing... some say spyware is the problem, so i scan my computer with zone alarm (the deep inspection scan) that takes over 7 hours and goes literally byte for byte...

i dont know what else to do and i most certainly dont want to re format my hard drive, so can someone please shed some light on my dire situation..?

thanks a ton

Sounds like a driver problem. Get a new sound card driver.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
my mobo is quite old and when i try to look for drivers, it always is very confusing and not clear so since i have an integrated sound card in my motherboard.. i never know which to choose

and if i do end up finding it, i just remove the old and put the new one on? as i would a graphics card driver?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
my mobo is quite old and when i try to look for drivers, it always is very confusing and not clear so since i have an integrated sound card in my motherboard.. i never know which to choose

and if i do end up finding it, i just remove the old and put the new one on? as i would a graphics card driver?

Yep. Most onboard sound is the same RealTek chip.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
i got the new driver for my integrated sound card.. but still same problem.. :S

btw my motherboard is the Asus p4s8x

my pc is extremely old lol, but with upgraded ram to 2 gig, and a bfg 6600 GT OC

btw guys thanks for the links :)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
i got the new driver for my integrated sound card.. but still same problem.. :S

btw my motherboard is the Asus p4s8x

my pc is extremely old lol, but with upgraded ram to 2 gig, and a bfg 6600 GT OC

btw guys thanks for the links :)

Maybe if you have an extra PCI slot you can get an OEM Sound Blaster.

$28.99

mak1skav

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Turn Off automatic updates from Windows XP and your problem will disappear my friend. Some times Microsoft simply sucks :p

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
hahahah that made me laugh :lol:

if it is as simple as that i will be simply overjoyed :D

but how would i go about turning it off? thanks

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

thanks a ton

zone alarm is no way that good on detecting spyware than a combo of spybot search & destroy + adaware

anyway your problem for mypoint of view could be a trojan infecting your kernel and core files..
that 99% usage happened to me waaaaaaaaaaaay long ago by a subseven virus.. not sure how strong they are now...but it was quite a fight to remove it.

*edit*
before I forget.. be careful!
some troyans and viruses do hide very well using similar names of the offical windows ones
]I've seen quite a bit of them using schost32l or with diferent words but still, using svhost nonetheless, to hide...

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Read here:

http://ask-leo.com/svchost_and_svchostexe_crashs_cpu_maximization_viru..._exploi
heed the advice and read the info@the link!

BS

Eat ME! Stay where you were if that's your level of comment.

HAH it's baron... your avatar is at most, laughable (actually, it DOES make me grin everytime I see it)

actually, today I have to agree with noblekitty... in the past 4 weeks, I've had 4 SVCHost.exe's running amok just like his, and they always turned out to be viruses or spyware infections...

as a matter of fact, I had 1 come in today with the same story (I run a computer shop)...

a shot of superantispyware directly from the machine, and a dose of Norton Anti-Virus 2004 (which I can't stand, compared to Kaspersky) on a different machine (drive was a slave) cleared the problem right up...

sorry baron, maybe next time :lol:

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Read here:

http://ask-leo.com/svchost_and_svchostexe_crashs_cpu_maximization_viru..._exploi
heed the advice and read the info@the link!

BS

Eat ME! Stay where you were if that's your level of comment.

HAH it's baron... your avatar is at most, laughable (actually, it DOES make me grin everytime I see it)

actually, today I have to agree with noblekitty... in the past 4 weeks, I've had 4 SVCHost.exe's running amok just like his, and they always turned out to be viruses or spyware infections...

as a matter of fact, I had 1 come in today with the same story (I run a computer shop)...

a shot of superantispyware directly from the machine, and a dose of Norton Anti-Virus 2004 (which I can't stand, compared to Kaspersky) on a different machine (drive was a slave) cleared the problem right up...

sorry baron, maybe next time :lol:

thats not always true
svhost can be runmultiple times depending what services are on, so it MIGHT be a legit svhost ...
example svhost controls networking, wireless, easy sharing, program connections, printer sharing..etc..

in a heavy optimized system, I still got 3 svhost running.

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
thats not always true
svhost can be runmultiple times depending what services are on, so it MIGHT be a legit svhost ...
example svhost controls networking, wireless, easy sharing, program connections, printer sharing..etc..

in a heavy optimized system, I still got 3 svhost running.

this is true, a system usually has between 3 and 6 svchost processes running at any given time... this laptop has 6 right now, and my desktop usually has 5...

there's 2 more possible causes that are related to my previous comment, however...

if it's not spyware / seperate virus causing the problem, you could have a legitimate svchost.exe file that's been infected by a virus...

you could also have windows loading up a dummy file svchost.exe which would be commonly located in C:\Windows\svchost.exe

best way to remove that file is to hook the drive up to another machine as a slave and remove it manually.. hope this helps you... - cheers

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
I would try using more then one antivirus. In adition to the one you've got on your PC (I personally use AVGfree) you can use online scanners. Sometimes a certien AV program won't find the problem, this is true for all AV programs (and sometimes a virus can corrupt the AV or prevent you from installing another one).

try:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm
and/or
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

they both need IE (last time I've checked). I think the Panda scanner is better.

mak1skav

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Check if the process is svchost.exe with an O or if it is svch0st.exe with a Zero. If it is with a Zero than it is a trojan i think. If it is svchost.exe with the letter O then give it a try and turn off the auto updates. It will take only 5-10 minutes from your time to try this if it doesn't work you can turn them ON again.Go to the Control Panel and from the Security Center you can turn Auto Updates Off or ON.After tou turn Off the Auto Updates restart your PC and see what will happen.

2root3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
In task manager check which username (2nd column) is running "svchost" if its System, localhost or network service it should be legit, if it ur own username kill it!

also start > run > msconfig untick anything that you don't need

recently i had an onboard sound die, they are cheap.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
dont turn off updates. Thats rediculous

No it's not rediculous, it's not even ridiculous.

hen i boot up my computer this damn process svchost.exe takes 99% of my cpu

Anytime this has happened to me(on 3 diff comps) it has been because of automatic updates. Disable Automatic updates and then do a manual update at the end of every month.

jontom07

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
I have had this problem a lot.

Your problem is 99.9% Windows Update service. If you have automatic updates turned on your machine will connect to MS and search for info about any updates. It will then tell you "You have new updates click here" If you don't install the updates it then repeats the process again next time your restart your machine. The longer you leave it the more updates you require and so the longer svchost.exe will remain at 99% until windows update finishes checking for updates.

The main culprit for this seems to be the Genuine Validation Tool. Also this is a major fault with Windows Update Server (WSUS) trying to do office updates but there are patches for that from MS but i assume you aren't on a WSUS network.

Simple solution is to do all your updates. If you don't have a Genuine copy of Windows you will have to live with the nagware or "take Measures" and disable the Gen Valid Tool.

There are various Spywares/Malwares/trojans that will also cause this fault but with all thre free tools out there noone can have an excuse to be infected.

try www.avast.com and download the free virus software. Use Spybot and other free tools to check for malware etc.

You can of course do all your updates, switch off auto updates and check manually for updates periodically.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
I'm with you on this one.
It's a very well known problem with windows update, out of 3 computers i'm using, only one is affected by it.
There seem to be suggested fixes for it, but i haven't tried them yet, what i did is in fact just turn automatic updates off, and manually update once in a while.

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Most likely culprit. . . Virus/Trojan.
2nd most likely. . . install your f*ckin updates already.
3rd, Baron may be correct with the onboard drivers. They can be a PITA sometimes.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Correction:

Most likely culprit. . . Windows Automatic Updates
2nd most likely. . . Virus/Trojan
3rd, Baron may be correct with the onboard drivers. They can be a PITA sometimes.

Bobsama

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Reminds me of that stupid damn Dumprep.exe thing that always hogs CPU resources when I have to end processes... I turn off error reporting and it still lags me up!