System shuts down during Vista install....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
I'm having some big trouble here all. For some reason I can't get Vista to install on a new PC. I'm attempting to install on 2 x 250g WD HD in Raid 0. The screen that displays the activity bar of "Windows loading files" goes smooth until it ends. Once it does the system shuts down. I've gotten to the next screen only twice with the small green activity bar, but it will shut down here as well.

I really have no idea what's wrong. Could one of the Hard Drives be shot? Ram? I'm really not sure how to test if I can't even get an OS intsalled.

I'd appreciate any feed back. Thanks

System:
Abit F-I90 mATX Mobo
G. Skill 2 x 1 gig DD2 6400
e6600
2 x Western Digital Cavier SE16 250g HDs
Corsiair HX620 PSU
eVGA 8800GTS KO

Solution
I just went to the Abit web-site, Abit doesn't have that MB listed as Vista ready. It is probabaly because Vista doesn't ship with support for the ATI chipset (I don't know why, that is just a guess).

abit Vista-ready MoBos

Without built-in support, you most likely won't get raid support out of the box. You may need to see if Abit has drivers available and if so you may be able to do the F6 thing, adding in raid drivers during the install. Otherwise, give up on raid.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
OK, you have proved your full-on attempt is not working. If it were me, I would surely dummy-down my efforts until I did get something going.

Try to install it on a a single drive and using the built-in radeon graphics. After you have proved that the new MB, memory, and PSU is working fine - then either try again with the new evga card or go back and reinstall with the raid configuration. I would try the raid setup next and then adding the new graphics wouldn't require another complete install.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I just went to the Abit web-site, Abit doesn't have that MB listed as Vista ready. It is probabaly because Vista doesn't ship with support for the ATI chipset (I don't know why, that is just a guess).

abit Vista-ready MoBos

Without built-in support, you most likely won't get raid support out of the box. You may need to see if Abit has drivers available and if so you may be able to do the F6 thing, adding in raid drivers during the install. Otherwise, give up on raid.

Solution

Jie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for the Help! I was able to finally get Vista installed. The shut downs were due to a CPU fan control in the BIOS...crazy huh?? I have decided to dumb down and am about to attempt a single drive install...for now. Hopefully I can get something running until a BIOS update come out.

Thanks again!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.