Problem with AI messing up formations

Last response: in Video Games
August 4, 2005 9:25:01 PM

Is it me, or is anyone else having a problem with the AI squaddies
messing up the formations from time to time? By this I mean, say you
issue a [8] + [7] to form line, expecting your guys to position
themselves in a straight horizontal line at your 3 and 9 o'clock (left
and right). Now, if you're starting out a game fresh, this is easily
done and AI is working fine. However, if I find myself trying to pull
off some fancy maneuvering, (and I've noticed this especially whenever
I've had to strafe left or right) putting the AI squadmates into a
formation can produce unpredicatable results. They'll form the
semblance of the formation, yes, straight lines, angles, what have you,
but the problem will be the direction at which they do it. That line
formation which is supposed to be perfectly horizontal can turn into a
diagonal line with your men forming on you at the 11 and 5 o'clock
positions, for example.

Anyone else encountered this? Know of a way to fix it?

thanks...

~ Will

P.S. And, yes, this is happening with me no matter what version of the
game I'm running or what mod is in effect. It must be an inherent
problem in the codebase. For the record, I'm running 1.96 Final in
Windows XP.

P.P.S. Just want to say hello to the OpFlash community out there... I
have been reading the group for quite a while, lurking, but wanted to
get this off my chest. Other than that little "orientation
randomization" feature, OFp is by far my favorite computer game ever.
It's the only game that has stayed installed on my computer since
purchase of the original pre-Resistance game when it first came out.

--
If responding via e-mail, please replace the *obvious* with "nc.rr.com"
Anonymous

they form up during movement. it wouldb e annoying if the whole
formation moved while u turned to the left or right in a static
position.

Will Fuller wrote:
> Is it me, or is anyone else having a problem with the AI squaddies
> messing up the formations from time to time? By this I mean, say you
> issue a [8] + [7] to form line, expecting your guys to position
> themselves in a straight horizontal line at your 3 and 9 o'clock (left
> and right). Now, if you're starting out a game fresh, this is easily
> done and AI is working fine. However, if I find myself trying to pull
> off some fancy maneuvering, (and I've noticed this especially whenever
> I've had to strafe left or right) putting the AI squadmates into a
> formation can produce unpredicatable results. They'll form the
> semblance of the formation, yes, straight lines, angles, what have you,
> but the problem will be the direction at which they do it. That line
> formation which is supposed to be perfectly horizontal can turn into a
> diagonal line with your men forming on you at the 11 and 5 o'clock
> positions, for example.
>
> Anyone else encountered this? Know of a way to fix it?
>
> thanks...
>
> ~ Will
>
> P.S. And, yes, this is happening with me no matter what version of the
> game I'm running or what mod is in effect. It must be an inherent
> problem in the codebase. For the record, I'm running 1.96 Final in
> Windows XP.
>
> P.P.S. Just want to say hello to the OpFlash community out there... I
> have been reading the group for quite a while, lurking, but wanted to
> get this off my chest. Other than that little "orientation
> randomization" feature, OFp is by far my favorite computer game ever.
> It's the only game that has stayed installed on my computer since
> purchase of the original pre-Resistance game when it first came out.
>
> --
> If responding via e-mail, please replace the *obvious* with "nc.rr.com"
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 9:25:02 PM

Oh, and one more thing...

Go into your controls and set the button for "Look Around" to your left
Alt.

This is probably the most useful button I use in the game. The game area
is
so big in OFP that I typically don't want to change the direction I'm
moving
(or the direction of my weapon) just to look around in another direction.

So, as I'm moving, I simply slap my thumb down on the left Alt and, while
am still moving, I can look completely in a new direction.

This is great for crawling between buildings--I keep moving but I might
want
to look down the space between two buildings as I pass.

It's also good for when you're in concealment. Moving around and looking
in
different directions might get you spotted by the enemy. I just touch the
left Alt, and I'm moving my head, and no other part of my body, looking
around.

I use this command all the time--I typically never stop and change my
facing
while I'm moving. I just use the left Alt "Look Around" command to look
the
way I want. When I release the Alt, direction is again controlled by the
mouse.

Try it. It's a magnificent command. More games should have it.

C.
Related resources
August 5, 2005 3:43:33 PM

Thanks, I reckon there's something in there for everyone - It definitely
helped me.

Neil
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:43:34 PM

> Thanks, I reckon there's something in there for everyone - It definitely
> helped me.

Glad to be of service.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:40:36 AM

Oh, and I thought of one more thing I should mention--something that I
think
many OFP players overlook.

When you right click on something, you reveal it--like in that CWC mission
where you use the binocs to right-click-reveal the Russian targets to the
Resistance fighters.

Do this all the time. Right-clicking on enemy you see brings that enemy
the attention of your squad mates. Sometimes, when I'm leading a squad, I
just find myself a nice bush to hide in, pull out my binocs and reveal all
the targets to the rest of the squad.

Doing this will GREATLY affect the overall performance of your squad.
Many
times, they don't know the target is there until you tell them it is.

Try it. You'll see.

C.
!