I need OS advice, still using Win 2k pro...

divpers

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
Hi,

I'm still using my windows 2000 pro OS. I've been happy with this OS, and Ive had a lot of harddrive issues and have had to reinstall it on my two computers quite a few times over these last 6 or so years, but it always goes on fine and runs well.

Lately, however, Im running into more games that require XP, which isn't that big of a deal since my computers are pretty old and generally don't run these games. I use my PC for a lot of things, and games is one of them, but I've never had nor will have a highend machine. I'd like to play Spore, or Warhammer Online, later this year.

However, I am soon to be buying some more parts for a PC, most things but not all things (keeping the old hard drive, for instance), and cobbling together the second out of the parts from the other two.

Is there any value in XP for me, or should I stay with 2000?

Im definitley not interested in Vista because it sounds too expensive, and Im very budget minded, I have to be. Computer hardware and software can add up very, very fast. If I had even one old program or music that I legitimatley bought fail to work, I'd be furious. I don't want to have to buy more expensive hardware either, or repurchase anything I have already bought.

Im an artist, and money doesn't fall off of trees for me, and I work extremely hard at very low wages for what I do earn, so I like to get my monies worth.

All that being said, is XP any good for someone like me? I was reading that I'd have to purchase 2 copies for 2 computers? Is it fine for me to stay with 2000 after all this time?

Any advice would be appreciated.

G

Yes, you would need to purchase 2 copies for 2 computers. You can buy XP Home OEM for $86.00 from here. I would try XP on 1 computer to start with.

Grumpy

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Yes XP is worth it but it depends on your system specs, XP can run on fairly low-end system but it may not be worth it.

List the specs of both your systems please and we'll see.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'm running both and XP. And really if all your programs are working, I don't think there are any compelling reasons to go to XP, especially if money is tight. My understanding is that XP is built on 2000 but because XP was for home users and the 2000 was for business XP has more bells and whistles but the "guts" are pretty much the same

divpers

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2002
Thanks for taking the time to reply,

The older machine I'm retiring parts out of is:

Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MEDIONPC
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz, ~2.7GHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
Page File: 141MB used, 1626MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINNT
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0281&SUBSYS_040510B0&REV_A1
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 1152 x 864 (16 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/22/2006 13:22:00, 4527488 bytes

The other machine is:

Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 4
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model: A7N8X
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1536MB RAM
Page File: 231MB used, 2309MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINNT
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: RADEON 9800 PRO
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON 9800 PRO AGP (0x4E48)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E48&SUBSYS_00021002&REV_00
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6652 (English)

I was thinking I could cobble bits of these two computers together, to make the secondary PC I like to have for when two people want to use comptures, or the odd times I want two MMO accounts up at once, such as in DAoC, or when I need to troubleshoot an issue - Ive never had anyone teach me anything, and I generally need something to resource off the web with to solve problems.

With the leftovers, and I have quite a bit more leftovers, I could make something to play with Linux with, I was thinking.

Then I'd buy something off of Sanji's guide in the $550-$750 range, and perhaps reuse a few parts such as the hitachi 40gb HD, which is big enough for my needs, and possibly the OS if Win 2k isn't too outdated.

That's really what I'm wondering. Is win2k so outdated compared to XP that it is time to leave off? I'd hate to, if it means I'd have to spend $172 to do so, and only for one very modest new PC and an old dino PC. I suppose I could do it for just one, but then again, I'd be disappointed if I'd have to lie to use an OEM version or to keep using it if I made changes to the computer, which I do quite often as my luck seems pretty poor.

Habeed

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Do what I did : get the "new" windows 2000.

As you know, Windows 2000 is the fastest modern windows, being based on NT without all the crud that XP adds. Windows Server 2003 is a continuation of that product line.

So if you want to stay on the edges, occasionally having to do a touch of work for compatibility, yet having a lightning fast OS that is resistant to viruses, get Server 2003.

I would buy an XP license, and bootleg server, to avoid paying M$'s obscene prices for their only good OS.

Get XP.

If you're going to start getting into newer software (especially games), you'll find that 2000 is becoming less and less supported (as you yourself stated). Keep in mind that you should ideally have 1GB of RAM in each computer... especially for gaming. You can get by with 512MB, but 256MB is absolutely out of the question.

Both those machines you listed will run XP more than adequately, provided you have at least 512MB of RAM. You may not notice a performance increase over 2000, but you should at least not get a performance decrease.

(And stay away from "bootlegging" 2003 :p )

TRENDING THREADS