Seagate SUCKS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dido

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
I bought a Seagate 7200.10 250GB 16MB SATA hard drive from newegg last week and found out its transfer rate never exceed 60MB/s. I feel kinda cheated since i bought this hard disk simply because i heard it is fast but now see it is certainly 1 of the slowest you can get. :evil:

upon searching i found more victums suffering from the same problem. These hard drives can never attain a transfer rate higher than 60Mb/s and from what i heard the major cause of these slow disks is that the newer firmwares limit the drive's transfer rate. I cant update the firmware myself and obviously seagate is doing nothing to deal with this problem.

Is anybody here have the same issue?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Before you damn Seagate, look around at what others do, too. From all the items I've read, in the real world the average data transfer rate to / from a hard drive is about 60 to 80 MB/s. Everyone agrees the maximum speed is 'way beyond actual performance over an extended copy operation.

Some tests I saw found that, if you copy large amounts of data from one disk to another, the average data transfer rate ranges from 30 MB/s for external HDD's on a USB2 port up to perhaps 80 MB/s for a drive on a Firewire 800 (IEEE 1394b) connection. Typical value for internal HDD on EIDE or SATA (I or II) is around 60 MB/s.

The root problem is makers quote maximum rates from design parameters because they all look impressive. Don't get sucked in that way - read reviews with actual performance tests.

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Umm... yes, they are very fast for 7200RPM Drives.. take a look at my transfer rate vs a 74 Gig raptor.

b5c0fa88dd.jpg

I dont have personal data to back it up but from what I see it's a good drive all around. I have NEVER had a Seagate die on me I've had all other brands die exept Seagate. I am a faithful buyer and will take one over another brand anyday. Sorry you have a bad taste in your mouth from them

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
it is best to check reviews from independent sites before ponying up the cache...

exactly, AFTER you buy something is not the time to do the research. you do the research FIRST

I love researching my hardware after I bought it.
10146.gif

dido

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
i agree, but see even now NO ONE HERE KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! that means there is virtually no reviews on this hard drive on its recent transfer rate problem :evil:

dido

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
I am sorry may be I didnt make it clear
i cant post a pic here so i will just post the link
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3

There is noway a harddisk can stay at the same transfer speed for the first 70% of its space. Maximum speed of 5x MB/s is even more ridiculous. And this does not just happen to the harddisk i bought from newegg, it also happen to some other country.
i really want to know what the hell is going on :cry:

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
That drive should perform better. THG HDD Benchmarks. Should get about 63MB/s average, which you can see on the chart as being one of the fastest drives around.

Probably a limitation on your controller or its running the drive in the wrong UDMA mode.

In all likelyhood you have no idea what you are doing and are trying to place blame elsewhere other than the real culprit. YOURSELF.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Does your motherboard support SATA 3.0Gb/s or is it only 1.5Gb/s? If it is 3.0Gb/s, did you remove the jumper from the back of the hard drive that restricts it to 1.5Gs/s? Also, you said in your original post that it is a 250GB drive, but the screen shots you posted are for a 320GB model. Which is it?

lcdguy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
ok, not sure what your complaining about but it is probably the jumper.

Also are you sure it's the 7200.10 becuase i didn't think they made the 7200.10 in 250GB capacity i thought the 250Gb ones were the 7200.9 version.

Also my 7200.10's are very fast. I currently have 9 seagate drives running and not a single issue with them, while my wd/maxtor drives (raptor excluded) are all either busted or to slow.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
lol benchmark any other hdd in the same becnhes you used and you'll see something different than what your saying... again LOL

your the man saying "oh **** that car doesn't brake its bullshit it should have brake even though I was on an ice floor 8O "
Thats all well and good but we are not talking about the other hard drives. We are speaking directly about the hard drive the OP is complaining about.

I looked at the benchmarks for all the other test. The drive consistently places near the top.

It also completed the average write benchmark at the same speed as the average read benchmark that I posted above.

Dolt.

Read. Comprehend. Post.

Scooby2

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
To the OP.

If you do have a 320gb drive there is something wrong with your setup.

Looking at the Hd tune pics you posted it looks like the drive is being bottlenecked by something. It should start out at around 80+ MB/s and then curve down towards the 40 MB/s towards the end of the test. Your pics don't look normal and I would suggest checking your BIOS, Driver settings etc.

The shape of your results graph should look more like this

1141220325-1.jpg

(taken from a google image search and is not from a 7200.10)

dido

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
The reason why i am blaming on Seagate is I have another 7200.10 on my computer which i bought 6 months ago is running completely normal.

My motherboard is AB9Pro and I connected both 7200.10 to the ICH8R chips so it fully supports SATAII. My hard drive is the on Pic 3 on my last post.
Plus I am not the only person having this problem, i have checked some forum over the pacific ocean and some people in asia are having the same issues as well, as you can see in the first two pic in my last post. they are from hongkong.

sorry if i offended anybody. Normally i wont put such a subjective topic but this time i am really ticked off as i am sure this is not my problem. and these speed-limited hdd are probably distributed all around the world.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Perhaps it didnt cross your mind that this is nothing more than a bad hard drive???

Why is it everyones first knee jerk response to scream out "seagate sucks" "western digital sucks" blah blah blah.

Just return the damn thing and get another one. Sheesh. :roll:

dido

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
Thank you for your help

This is the first 7200.10 i got, a lil bit slower than normal but at least the graph looks fine
pic 4

It is on the same computer on the same SATA controller as the one having problem, so it is unlikely i have set something wrong

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Uh you do realize that those are different models right???

The first images you posted pic1 shows a ST3320620A

Pics2, and Pics3 are ST3250620AS

This last one you posted, Pic4, was a ST3250620AS

A is a PATA model and AS is SATA.

Are you sure you have your model numbers correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.