Am I going to have a problem?

I am looking to build a new computer, so this is what I am thinking of going with...

- ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
- CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
- EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
- OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply
- Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive x2 (want to run in Raid 0)
- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1
- Thermaltake Matrix VX VD3000BNA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
- Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium

I want to make this a pretty serious gaming machine, but I have heard about many issues with this motherboard and stability. I dont expect for me to just plug all my parts into the board and it just run flawlessly (obviously I would want this though =) ) but I want to make sure I am not going to be fighting the mobo for weeks in order to get it stable.

My main concern is the ram, I want to get the PC2 8500 because it is faster, but I am worried about compatability. Should I go for the PC2 6400 instead?

If anyone sees any conflicting issues, please let me know, I am ready to buy this week.
13 answers Last reply
More about problem
  1. Thanks for the reply!

Interesting, I had originally picked out a Thermaltake W0106RU 700W Power Supply, but someone I know recommended OCZ for a gaming machine! I will look into the other power supplies you recommended.

Other than that, do you think everything else looks good? :D

I should also say I was thinking of overclocking the processor to something like 2.8 ghz since I am getting that zalman, think that will be ok?
  2. I would add a data drive for media files and to back up the RAID (twice)

RAM - Are you going to overclock? If not, then PC6400 is more than fine. When you get into the higher clock rates then the RAM will start to be worth it.

There were issues with all of the 680i MB to start, most have been fixed so they are becoming the MB chipset of power gamers
  3. Quote:
    I would add a data drive for media files and to back up the RAID (twice)

RAM - Are you going to overclock? If not, then PC6400 is more than fine. When you get into the higher clock rates then the RAM will start to be worth it.

There were issues with all of the 680i MB to start, most have been fixed so they are becoming the MB chipset of power gamers

I already have an external HD for backup, so im not worried about that :D

Also, I am not planning on overclocking the RAM unless its beneficial and easy. Are you saying there wont be much difference between the two if I dont overclock the PC8500? I just wanted to get the PC8500 to get that little extra speed in RAM.

Thanks for the extra info on 680i mobos, I was thinking maybe I should go with a EVGA (because im getting an EVGA video card) rather than the Asus, but Ive always heard Asus has the best mobos.
  4. More like you have to O/C your CPU to get any use from the added RAM speed.
    eVGA is a good company, back up their produsts. Asus used to be #1 but thay have gone downhill, servuice problems, web site sucks.
  5. I was planning on overclocking a little bit, how difficult is it going to be to keep the cpu stable?
  6. One more question...

I was wondering about this...

Since I bought the DDR2 1066, and the motherboard standard is DDR2 800, am I going to have to tweek the board to make it recognize that the ram is actually 1066 and run it at 1066mhz instead of recognizing it at 800 and running it at 800mhz?

Hope that made sense...
  7. It is very easy to make a small o/c, just changing a couple things in BIOS. Lots of guides to help you.
    Yes I would guess you have to "tweak" the BIOS to use the RAM; again a couple easy changes.
  8. There were allegedly problems with the 680i chipset but I believe that Nvidia has no got these sorted.

If worried, buy the P5N32-E Sli Plus which has the 650i chipset, I have this board OC'ed and have had no issues.

On the ram point, your ram at 800mhz is already overspecced.

I running my e6600 Overclocked at 3ghz (from 2.4ghz) and my ram is at 667mhz at a 1:1 ratio.

You won't be running the ram at 800mhz with the cpu on stock frequency as its too fast.

The E6600 has a 1066mhz FSB at stock speed = 667mhz ram at 5:4 ratio.

(333.9 x 4 = 1,335.6mhz. At ratio 5:4 = 8/10 x 1,335.6 = 1068.48mhz).
  9. The Zalman's are kind of neat looking, but there are HSF's that work better for the same price or as well for less. If you are not interested in going past 3.0 GHz, the stock HSF is fine.

The whole issue of memory speed is complicated simply because of the way terms are defined.
  10. Just wanted to add that DDR2 800 should allow you an FSB of 1600mhz (4 x 400mhz) which equals overclocking the e6600 to 3.6ghz (400x9), which is further than most people would want to go on air.

BTW every chip is different but most e6600's will manage 3ghz easily without any need to increase voltages. Whilst a modest OC it makes you faster than an E6800 and around the same as 1.9Ghz Xeon. It makes a significant performance difference in Vista in my experience as Vista is mediocre on a standard e6600. It feels fast after the oc.

PS All info in my post is accurate to the best of my belief but shouldn't be taken as gospel. I accept no responsibility for any inaccuracies - the responsibility is on you to carry out your own independant research into OC'ing.
  11. Thanks for the replys, so buying DDR2 1066 is just a waste of money and I should get the DDR2 800?

(sorry if I sound like a total noob)
  12. The motherboard I picked out supports FSB 1333/1066/800MHz. People have been telling me the motherboard will have no problem recognizing and running the ram at 1066mhz. Are they just flat out wrong or what?
  13. I have the plus version of the same motherboard.

You won't be running the RAM at 1066mhz, at least not on your current processor as that would equate to an overclock of 533 x 9 = 4.797Ghz which is refrigeration territory.

In my opinion, you are wasting your money on 1066mhz DDR2 unless you're going to be doing some very extreme overclocking.

There's a difference between FSB and memory speed.

The FSB is quad pumped on Intel processors. So for an FSB of 1,333mhz you only need a FSB speed of 333 mhz (4 x333 = 1,333). So if the FSb is running at 333mhz, you want the memory to run at the same speed so thye can talk to each other ie at a 1:1 Ratio (1:1 is the ideal, it is possible to use other set ratios to get around problems matching speeds) So you want a memory speed of 1,333mhz. 333mhz actual speed = 667mhz DDR2 = equivolent of 1,333mhz if in dual channel.

So the fastest ram your board needs to achieve a 1,333mhz fsb is DDR2 667.

Buying DDR2 800 will just give you a little extra headroom for future (Intel are upping bus speeds on their new models).

The best guide (in my opinion) to overclocking and thus these calculations is here:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t79266.html

This will let you check things out for yourself.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems