Sign in with
Your question

8600 GT compatibility?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2007 6:02:19 AM

I've been looking into purchasing a new PC for college, I've found some cheap HP's (I'm not one to build from scratch) and they seem fine for general work use, and light games. But I tend to play a lot of online games with Friends. I've seen the 8600 GT card on a friends PC, and I like how games run with it. What I'm not sure of is if the 8600 GT would be compatible with a HP Pavilion Media Center a6040n PC. I know it has PCI Express x16, but I can't find the PSU listing anywhere, Even after checking Office Depot, the sales kid didn't have a clue.

I guess what I'm basicaly asking is; would the 8600 GT work with the a6040n?

The exact card name is: PNY Verto GeForce 8600 GT, I can buy one off a friend for $130, since he got a few when he saw them at some PC expo recently.

I know the 8600 GT card is not the best on the market now, but from my current standing it looks like a big jump - as of now I'm on an old 2.4 P4, 512 RAM, and a 64MB jayton video card. Does well with work, but gaming is limited.

More about : 8600 compatibility

May 1, 2007 6:12:32 AM

I couldn't see an HP with that number listed as having a P4 2.4.

Given the age of the system, it's unlikely that there will be enough power, however the 8600 doesn't draw too much power so there could be hope.

Try listing exactly what you have so then people will be better able to help you.
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2007 6:22:52 AM

Quote:
I've been looking into purchasing a new PC for college, I've found some cheap HP's (I'm not one to build from scratch) and they seem fine for general work use, and light games. But I tend to play a lot of online games with Friends. I've seen the 8600 GT card on a friends PC, and I like how games run with it. What I'm not sure of is if the 8600 GT would be compatible with a HP Pavilion Media Center a6040n PC. I know it has PCI Express x16, but I can't find the PSU listing anywhere, Even after checking Office Depot, the sales kid didn't have a clue.

I guess what I'm basicaly asking is; would the 8600 GT work with the a6040n?

The exact card name is: PNY Verto GeForce 8600 GT, I can buy one off a friend for $130, since he got a few when he saw them at some PC expo recently.

I know the 8600 GT card is not the best on the market now, but from my current standing it looks like a big jump - as of now I'm on an old 2.4 P4, 512 RAM, and a 64MB jayton video card. Does well with work, but gaming is limited.

Your right, HP's website doesn't list the PSU specs for the a6040n. I have a 945 chipset board (like the a6040n has) with onboard video. I have had many PCI E cards running on there. Lately I have been running an x1800xt with no problems. I have also run a 7800GT and a x800GTO. I have a 500 watt psu. Your system comes with a C2D and 2 gigs of RAM. I would think an 8600GT would run in there. Can you find the minimum PSU requirement for the 8600GT? Also, can you open your case and look on the side of the PSU and see the total watts, and specifically the 12 volt rail wattage? Contact HP support and find out the wattage of your PSU to be sure.
Related resources
May 1, 2007 5:37:24 PM

I've searched around and found the 8600GT needs a minimum of a 300W PSU, so that's one question answered :) 

I guess the next would be what PSU is in the a6040n. That's been fun, web searching has no info on the PSU, and the Office Depot guy didn't have any idea.

Oh sorry, no, I don't have any plans to upgrade my current PC, I'm talking about buying the 8600 GT card from a friend, then get the a6040n sometime over the summer for the fall semester. (hoping it lasts me 3-4 years)

So, so far I know what the card needs (300W minimum), but don't know what PSU is in the a6040n.
May 6, 2007 5:59:22 AM

hmm.
If the card needs a 300W, and the HP a6040n is only a 250W, do you think I would be able to replace it with an aftermarket one, with a higher wattage? Or is it just too much of a hassle at this point?
!