Newly connected hard drive not showing in My Computer

fyak1

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Hi all,

My main pc is out of action due to what I think is a problem with Windows XP (hanging during booting, after booting). I am awaiting a new hard drive but would like to save data from the old hard drive and erase it.

To do this i wanted to plug the dodgy drive into an Dell 4600 which I use as back up. The main drive in the Dell is connected to Sata 0. I have connected the dodgy drive to Sata 1 but it does not show in My Computer or Device Manager. I have done this with another drive some time ago in the past and it showed up with no problem. I don't remember doing anything other than plugging the drive into Sata 1 and turning the pc on.

Any ideas on why the drive is not showing?

Thanks

Hi all,

My main pc is out of action due to what I think is a problem with Windows XP (hanging during booting, after booting). I am awaiting a new hard drive but would like to save data from the old hard drive and erase it.

To do this i wanted to plug the dodgy drive into an Dell 4600 which I use as back up. The main drive in the Dell is connected to Sata 0. I have connected the dodgy drive to Sata 1 but it does not show in My Computer or Device Manager. I have done this with another drive some time ago in the past and it showed up with no problem. I don't remember doing anything other than plugging the drive into Sata 1 and turning the pc on.

Any ideas on why the drive is not showing?

Thanks

Have you looked for the drive in disk management?

fyak1

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Hello Badge

Where do I find Disk Management?

The drive doesn't show up in Device Manager or Disk Defrag.

fyak1

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Just found Disk Management but got message that 'logical disk manager is disabled. A connection cannot be established'.

How do I turn it on?

Hello Badge

Where do I find Disk Management?

The drive doesn't show up in Device Manager or Disk Defrag.

Click on Start>Control Panel>Administrative tools>Computer management>Disk Management. If the disk shows in Disk management, be careful and don't reformat it, you could loose everything on the disk.

Just found Disk Management but got message that 'logical disk manager is disabled. A connection cannot be established'.

How do I turn it on?

I am not certain what instructions to give you in disk management. If the disk is there it is likely being seen by windows as a boot disk with your OS on there. You will wipe out the disk if you format it.

fyak1

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Have enabled Logical Disk Manager service now but still no joy, drive not showing.

Any other suggestions?

thechristopher

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Hey fyak,

go to the run box and type

services.msc

Drill down to logical disk manger right click it and select start to fire up the service.

Then go to device manager and select hard disks.

Right click and rescan disks or do it from the action menu.

PS: XP SP1 only sees disks smaller than 137GB

Hope this helped

fyak1

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Sadly none of them helped.

But then I did what should have been obvious and checked bios settings. Second drive was OFF, so enabled it and all is sweet now.

Thanks again