adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I'm trying to transfer across my home network. After many tries I finaly got easy transfer to work. The difficulty I was haveing seemed to center around transfering to much data. I kept eliminating until the transfer worked.

I check my vista machine (1st home built<grin>) & did not find *any* of the files I expected. No .pst no bookmarks, nothing yet apparently 4.5GB was transfered. I looked in the log and 95% of the sucessfull transfers seem to be not worthy of keeping, i.e. I don't really want to keep stuff related to IE searched I did. Suffice to say I'm a bit disapointed in easy transfer.

Two questions;
I am very tempted to do a wipe & reinstall- I have not moved over to the new computer yet so there is no lost data concerns. I just spent 2 years in a Dell in which I never got rid of all the dell BS with a wipe & reinstall. I do not want the same situation with my new computer.

Second question;
How did using the Easy transfer feature go for others? I'm willing to admit some of the problems might have been due to either transfering over my network or my general n00bness about computers.

Solution
For the second question, it was probably network related. I don't know of anyone who had too much of an issue with the app. However, they also might have been looking for other things than you were.

For the first question, I would recommend a wipe and reinstall for a clean build. The only reason you would not want this is if you have hardware that might have come up on the preliminary Vista scan as incompatible or if you have apps that you believe are going to be an issue. Many users have found that if this is the case, just using the "upgrade" install actually allows that hardware/app to work because the upgrade uses XP drivers in compatibility mode settings.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
For the second question, it was probably network related. I don't know of anyone who had too much of an issue with the app. However, they also might have been looking for other things than you were.

For the first question, I would recommend a wipe and reinstall for a clean build. The only reason you would not want this is if you have hardware that might have come up on the preliminary Vista scan as incompatible or if you have apps that you believe are going to be an issue. Many users have found that if this is the case, just using the "upgrade" install actually allows that hardware/app to work because the upgrade uses XP drivers in compatibility mode settings.

Solution