Sign in with
Your question

Trying to build a setup for music production. Advice plz?!?!

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2007 8:53:16 AM

Ok so I know this forum mostly deals with cpus for gaming but maybe someone can help me with building a desktop for music production. I was thinking about just buying a cheap azz Dell then upgrading it but after reading on here that sounds like a no no. I guess I'll just revert back to my original plan and build one or if someone can suggest a good prebuilt one I should look into.

I mostly need my setup to run smoothly in real time. Because I'll be running mulitple DAW applications at one time and also playing music in real time. I need a good soundcard with MIDI support too.If anyone can maybe tell me what are some specs I should look into that would help greatly. Oh and I'm mostly going to run programs like FL Studio, Sony Acid, and Pro Tools if that helps. As long as I can play C&C and Age of Mythologies thats good enough for me(because I quite frankly can't afford a cpu to run Supreme Commander lol).

My specs I had at 1st are from almost a year ago so the technology is probably dated a bit but here what I was looking into at 1st.

-> amd athlon64 3000+ Venice (and than overclock it to 4000+)
-> 1gb Twinmos Ram DDr-400
-> western digital 250gb
-> asus a8v
-> terratec phase 22
-> geforce 4mx

My price range is anywhere from $800 - 1200. Any help would be appreciated.
May 1, 2007 9:23:01 AM

$1200 is plenty. $800 is pushing it.

I cant advise you on the sound card, since I dont know much about them.

E6600 - $230
Crucial Ballistix 2x 1gb DDR2-800 - $160
Asus P5B Deluxe - $180
600w Seasonic M12 - $170
320gb SeaSonic HDD - $90
NEC 7170A - $31

Total - $861

You pick the case, since it's more of a matter of personal taste then anything. The gfx card will cost $250-300, see below why I didnt recommend one.

I'm not going to recommend a gfx card right now, since the HD2900XT, ATI's first DX10 card that's also suppost to smoke the 8800gts and be lower in price is coming out either tomorrow or on the 14th. That's the card you should get.
May 1, 2007 9:37:37 AM

If you're serious about music production 90% of the industry uses either Pro Tools or Logic Pro on a Mac. I wouldn't even consider anything else. Most of the plugins are also designed for MAC. For song production Pro Tools is easier than Logic Pro. Logic Pro is better for film and commercial soundtrack work, however both programs do both. If it's just an occasional hobby then get whatever you want.
Related resources
May 1, 2007 9:40:34 AM

Quote:
The gfx card will cost $250-300, see below why I didnt recommend one.

I'm not going to recommend a gfx card right now, since the HD2900XT, ATI's first DX10 card that's also suppost to smoke the 8800gts and be lower in price is coming out either tomorrow or on the 14th. That's the card you should get.

I don't think the OP needs a $250-300 gfx card :
Quote:
I'm mostly going to run programs like FL Studio, Sony Acid, and Pro Tools if that helps. As long as I can play C&C and Age of Mythologies thats good enough for me

any $100 passive cooling card will do the job
May 1, 2007 9:42:40 AM

I was going to suggest a Mac too. If your confortable with Mac OS X, or are willing to take the 30 minutes nessary to get comfortable with it, get a Mac. Do it. Really. Seriously. Go for it. Yes. You know you want to.

But he has the budget for it, if you have the cash, no reason not to get it. A 1950pro would work fine too. And cost $150.
May 1, 2007 10:02:09 AM

I've already entertained the idea of a MAC and I really don't need one because I take my music to an actual studio. I just need something I can comfortably rum my workflow on now. I'm running all the programs stated and a lil more ok and I mean "ok" on a 5 year old Gateway so I don't really see a need for a MAC. If I was building a studio with Mackie boards and all that other ish then I can understand. My work sounds professional on what I have now but it is often brought to a crawl from all that is being ran. I'll look into the suggestions though. I appreciate the replys.
May 1, 2007 2:08:00 PM

Hey i've been a music producer for six years, and over time i had a wide range of systems.

mian things you NEED are:

Powerfull processor
Decent soundcard
Large screen
Adequate ammount ram (2gb +)

You have 2 options, go cheap and over clock..or buy more expensive (allready higher frequency) equipment.

I would suggest:

Core 2 Duo 6300 (overclock it!) or buy more expensive: 6600, quad core etc.
2gb of ddr2 ram
Gigabyte Ds3 motherboard
Couple of hard drives (sata II)
Large screen, not neccersary but will help so much in being productive.

and and addition mid range card will play your games.

Bu the proccessor is the key to allowing you to run more VST's and sample's!
May 1, 2007 2:49:28 PM

Done this a bit, a suggestion you might not have thought of is a second monitor, even a cheap 14" LCD will increase productivity a lot
May 1, 2007 3:33:13 PM

Quote:

I would suggest:

Core 2 Duo 6300 (overclock it!) or buy more expensive: 6600, quad core etc.
2gb of ddr2 ram
Gigabyte Ds3 motherboard
Couple of hard drives (sata II)
Large screen, not neccersary but will help so much in being productive.

and and addition mid range card will play your games.

Would this fall in my 800 -1200 budget? And that bigger monitor or 2 monitors is great idea.
!