Using my RAZR to go online with my iPAQ h2215

a b α HP
July 26, 2005 8:53:29 PM

Hi all, I was wondering if anybody out there has had any luck with this.
I want to use my Motorola RAZR mobile phone (Cingular is my service
provider, NY tri-state area) to go online with my hp iPAQ h2215. Has anyone
been able to do it? Neither Cingular nor HP have been any help at all. I
spent 30 minutes on the phone with Cingular, and all I managed to pry from
them was the modem string. I know it's possible to do WITHOUT buying their
rediculous software; they're both Bluetooth-enabled devices, designed to do
exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. If anyone has ANY info that can help
me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or, if this was already addressed in
another post, I must have missed it; please link me to it.
Again, any help at all would be appreciated. You can post it here, or
email me @ dam091@aol.com. Thanks in advance for your help. :-)

More about : razr online ipaq h2215

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 27, 2005 4:09:39 AM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:53:29 -0400, "David A. Martí" <dam091@aol.com>
wrote:

> Hi all, I was wondering if anybody out there has had any luck with this.
>I want to use my Motorola RAZR mobile phone (Cingular is my service
>provider, NY tri-state area) to go online with my hp iPAQ h2215. Has anyone
>been able to do it? Neither Cingular nor HP have been any help at all. I
>spent 30 minutes on the phone with Cingular, and all I managed to pry from
>them was the modem string. I know it's possible to do WITHOUT buying their
>rediculous software; they're both Bluetooth-enabled devices, designed to do
>exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. If anyone has ANY info that can help
>me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or, if this was already addressed in
>another post, I must have missed it; please link me to it.
> Again, any help at all would be appreciated. You can post it here, or
>email me @ dam091@aol.com. Thanks in advance for your help. :-)

I just exchanged my RAZR, I wasn't at all impressed with it, apart
from it's looks. The earpiece volume was poor, the Bluetooth
connection wasn't reliable and the synch software was laughable, it
was a "lite" version with certain features disabled. If you bought the
full version it wasn't guaranteed to work with Windows XP with Service
Pack 2 installed (according to posts on the Motorola newsgroup).
Sorry I haven't given you any helpful advice, just hoping that you may
realise that "Everything that glisters is not gold"

YP
July 27, 2005 10:01:44 AM

While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on
wrote:

> Hi all, I was wondering if anybody out there has had any luck with this.
>I want to use my Motorola RAZR mobile phone (Cingular is my service
>provider, NY tri-state area) to go online with my hp iPAQ h2215. Has anyone
>been able to do it? Neither Cingular nor HP have been any help at all. I
>spent 30 minutes on the phone with Cingular, and all I managed to pry from
>them was the modem string. I know it's possible to do WITHOUT buying their
>rediculous software; they're both Bluetooth-enabled devices, designed to do
>exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. If anyone has ANY info that can help
>me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or, if this was already addressed in
>another post, I must have missed it; please link me to it.
> Again, any help at all would be appreciated. You can post it here, or
>email me @ dam091@aol.com. Thanks in advance for your help. :-)

I have had a very similar experience with a Siemens S65. I managed to
get my provider to step by step me through what was needed to allow me
to connect, but they warned me at the time that the Siemens was very
flakey when it came to being used as a web portal. After setting
everything up as needed, it just plain didn't work. Once again, not
the info you needed, I am sorry, but a similar situation. I am
starting to wonder just how good mobiles in general are at being used
this way. Anyone else managed to get their mobile working like this?
--
Tsunami
If at first you don't succeed, give up skydiving!

"Tsunami" <tsunami_65@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on
> Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:53:29 -0400, "David A. Martí" <dam091@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I was wondering if anybody out there has had any luck with
>> this.
>>I want to use my Motorola RAZR mobile phone (Cingular is my service
>>provider, NY tri-state area) to go online with my hp iPAQ h2215. Has
>>anyone
>>been able to do it?
[...]
> I have had a very similar experience with a Siemens S65.
[...]
> I am
> starting to wonder just how good mobiles in general are at being used
> this way. Anyone else managed to get their mobile working like this?

Before switching to a pocket-pc+phone (Qtek s100), I used a separate
phone (Siemens S55) and PDA (Palm tungsten T) to access internet.
Connections between the devices was bluetooth, connecting to the internet
through CSD or GPRS. It worked very reliably. Setting up the CSD was
straightforward, the GPRS settings for the phone/provider combination was
less obvious, but once I found the right settings, everything worked great.

Before getting the Qtek, I got a Samsung phone "for free" from my provider,
but it had modified software (by the provider) that prevented me from using
it as a gateway or modem - that was apparently done on purpose, so they
could charge extra for additional software, or for access to *their*
internet
surrogate (i-mode). It took some discussions to get them to admit that they
modified the software, and even more discussions before they agreed to
having
the phone returned and all charges for the "free" phone reversed, but in the
end they gave in.

The experience with the Qtek is very similar to the Siemens/Palm
combination,
easy to set up CSD, somewhat more complicated to find the right GPRS
settings (somehow, providers always manage to not mention the settings for
my specific phone ;-). Having everything in a single device definitely works
better for me, but in general I find it *very* useful to be able to access
the web,
email, and even my home PC anywhere/anytime. So don't give up, it is worth
the effort to get it to work. You might want to get confirmation that it
*is*
possible with your specific phone/provider combination, though, since the
provider might have done something to the phone to "encourage" you to spend
more money to get what you want. If that's the case, you can spend endless
hours without results. The presence of bluetooth is no guarantuee for modem
functionality, as I learned the hard way...

This was in Europe (The Netherlands) though, so YMMV - good luck!

Peter
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 27, 2005 2:21:48 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 David A. Martí wrote:

> Hi all, I was wondering if anybody out there has had any luck with this.
>I want to use my Motorola RAZR mobile phone (Cingular is my service
>provider, NY tri-state area) to go online with my hp iPAQ h2215. Has anyone
>been able to do it? Neither Cingular nor HP have been any help at all. I
>spent 30 minutes on the phone with Cingular, and all I managed to pry from
>them was the modem string. I know it's possible to do WITHOUT buying their
>rediculous software; they're both Bluetooth-enabled devices, designed to do
>exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. If anyone has ANY info that can help
>me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or, if this was already addressed in
>another post, I must have missed it; please link me to it.

Are we talking about GPRS access? If so I can't help with the setup on
the V3 side of things, because that's going to depend on your cellular
provider, but I found that setting a suitable default account on the V3
and using the number *99***3# and the additional dial string
+CGDCONT=3,"IP","internet",,0, on my iPAQ worked wonders.

Incidentally "internet" is the username for GPRS web logons for my
cellular provider (Vodafone UK) but it's unclear from context whether
that's what needs to be specified in the dial string, or is just a
coincidence. You will *probably* need to change this to the username for
your provider, but that's by no means certain.

To be honest I'm not even sure what that dial string does. I picked it
up from a forum somewhere, was stunned that it worked after I'd spent
three days trying to figure it out for myself, and haven't had the nerve
to change anything since.

FWIW I agree with the comments on the V3. I upgraded from an SE Z600
because I was due for a free upgrade and fancied the quad band and MP3
ringtones. Huge mistake. The V3 is lovely to look at but the interface
is horrible. Operation is slow, iTAP is a dog compared to T9 (and you
can't delete anything you accidentally add to the dictionary), useful
functions like Bluetooth are buried seven or eight layers deep in the
menu system, so called 'shortcuts' still require at least four key
presses to activate and return to the home screen etc. For heaven's sake
there isn't even a permanent icon or LED to tell you Bluetooth has been
left on (although the two-day battery drain is a give-away). Never has
style over substance been so evident as with this phone.

It'll be going on eBay as soon as the ZE Z520i is released. It's not as
pretty as the V3, but modern SE phones have REALLY user-friendly
interfaces. Motorola could learn a thing or two there.

Sorry for the OT rant, but this has been brewing since I got the damned
V3 and this thread subject happened to open the floodgates!

--
Kev
"Final Exit."

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 I wrote:

>Incidentally "internet" is the username for GPRS web logons for my
>cellular provider (Vodafone UK) but it's unclear from context whether
>that's what needs to be specified in the dial string, or is just a
>coincidence.

Oops. For 'username' read 'APN'. My bad.

--
Kev
"He is a goal scorer. Not a natural-born one, not yet. That takes time."