8800ultra benchies

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Expected. The Higher clocks will of course bring more performance. I see this card selling for 50-70$ more than the 8800GTX just for the higher clocks.

Simply if you got the money to blow to say "i have SLI'ed 8800's ULTRAs"
then by all means do so. The rest of use will use the Plain ole 8800GTX/GTS and OC those for the price OF NOTHING.

As to be expected, performance usually doent move that much with ram clocks near as much as with chips. And the overall upgrade you see here is mostly ram. Doesnt surprise me, nor impress for a "Ultra" model. I spose some people will buy one tho 8O

Blank2k2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
guess im the only 1 who finds that pretty good? o_O

graphic cards always go through a phase of everything 1upping the other by a few frame rates, 5-15fps differance is pretty much what i expected.

and no doubt it will push 8800GTX prices down abit, so no worrys...

personally ill just overclock my 8800GTX but still... Ultra looks like a logical "1up" on the GTX to me.

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
what a complete waste of space, they aren't Ultra benchmarks, they're "we overclocked a GTX to what we think the Ultra will be at"

granted, if the specs being bandied about for Ultra are correct then Ultra itself is a complete waste of space anyway, but even so, must have been a slow day in the office for these guys to waste their time and webhosting on such tripe

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Phhhfff... I've been running two "8800 Ultra's" for 5 months now. Any self-respecting 8800 GTX can OC to Ultra levels or higher.

This sku is just a marketing ploy to put G80 even further ahead of R600 when it's released.

The only advantage of an Ultra are the OC'ed shaders. btw, is there any way to manually OC shaders yet (apart from flashing)?

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Expected. The Higher clocks will of course bring more performance. I see this card selling for 50-70$ more than the 8800GTX just for the higher clocks.

Simply if you got the money to blow to say "i have SLI'ed 8800's ULTRAs"
then by all means do so. The rest of use will use the Plain ole 8800GTX/GTS and OC those for the price OF NOTHING.

the card is projected to be $999 at release, basically the card is a status symbol :evil:

what a waste of money, just buy a gtx and OC it

and in case you are wondering, they did OC the shaders

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Sheesh, that card is the biggest waste of $999 that I've seen in quite a while. I feel a great amount of pity for anyone stupid enough to buy that card, but I'm sure some of the filthy rich will pick it up.

Really if you think about it, it's almost exactly like the GF7800Ultra/GTX-512.

Buy two GF8800GTS-640s and put them in SLi and it should stomp a single GF8800Ultra for the same price.

I'd say forget the GF8800Ultra stick with whichever GF8800 you have (or if you don't, then go out and buy the GTS-320 right now) and then put the rest of the money in the bank, earn interest, take money out, spend interest on ice cream cone, and then buy the refreshed 65nm part when it arrives instead of the Ultra.

Better card plus ice cream; can't go wrong with that !! MMMmmm mmmMMM !!! :mrgreen:

bolt14

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I should be all set to beat it then. :wink:

I think NV is smokin' something too, $1k??!! 8O For a lousy overclocked 8800GTX?? WTF!

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
The 8800 Ultra is just a (marketing) joke.

Other than clocks, there is nothing new. Could it be that nVIDIA doesn't need anything more to hold the performance crown? :?

I'm still waiting to see the R600 official performance numbers. No more FUD.
IF it performs like we have seen, then AMD is facing a VERY rough future.
We'll wait and see.

Other than clocks, there is nothing new. Could it be that nVIDIA doesn't need anything more to hold the performance crown? :?

I think so, but the whole point about it will be what test gets you the crown? Top 3Dmk06 score?

Like before both AMD and nV will claim to have the #1 top card based on XYZ benchmark that shows them favourably.

I think it's guaranteed that both will be king in their own mind/PR, the question is what the web concensus becomes.

baligavinod

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
as far as i know there are factory overclocked 8800gtxs from xfx and evga...how do they fare against 8800ultra ??? any idea ???