May 1, 2007 9:26:26 AM

Hello ppl .

it is my first C2D build :
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
e6400 C2D
OCZ 4-4-4-15 2GB Dual channel DDR2-800
ATi X1950 pro
BeQuiet 650W QuadRail

i overclocked nothing , everything is on stock speed.

these are my temps , in the pic , the cpu is not completely idle for sure , i cant get it idle unless i go to bios hardware monitoring .

i wanna make sure that the temps are ok , because its my first c2d.

thanks in advance,
Nadeem

More about : e6400 temps

May 1, 2007 10:53:59 AM

check in other soft like tat and speedfan for comparision

and imho if you placed your HSF correctly there is no way it would have 50* on cores @ "idle" on stock settings

there is alot of confusion with c2d temps especialy on asus mobos
mine for example shows higher temps on Tcase than on cores ^^

i bet that if you touch your cooler you will find that its completly at ambient temp

do these checks and also read the guide about posting temps (its easier for us to understand whats going on)
May 1, 2007 12:10:30 PM

Quote:
check in other soft like tat and speedfan for comparision

and imho if you placed your HSF correctly there is no way it would have 50* on cores @ "idle" on stock settings

there is alot of confusion with c2d temps especialy on asus mobos
mine for example shows higher temps on Tcase than on cores ^^

i bet that if you touch your cooler you will find that its completly at ambient temp

do these checks and also read the guide about posting temps (its easier for us to understand whats going on)

Thanks for your fast reply,

i tried both TAT , and SpeedFan , and they gave exactly the same results.

i checked the heatsink , reseated it , and still no change , are u sure these temps are not ok for a core duo ? ?

thanks
Related resources
May 1, 2007 7:49:56 PM

no clues here ?
May 1, 2007 8:16:21 PM

Actually thos tempuratures are horrible, esspecially at idle. The RPM's of your CPU fan are also way too low! Did you clean, and re-apply new thermal paste when you "re-seated" the heatsink? If not... do it. Get some Arctic Silver5 and follow the directions. It could also be that the heat-spreader on the CPU is concave, which have been a problem for Core 2's. To check that out clean off the chip and use a small straight edge to determine if there is a gap. If there is return it for a new one. Also, I would recommend a aftermarket cooling solution for any Intel processor. The AC 7 coolers work great and aren't too expensive.
May 1, 2007 8:28:08 PM

Those temps would be fine for 100% load. But they seem very high for idle. For comparison, my E4300 OC @ 3GHz using a ACF7P idles at 25C and is 53C at 100% load. Now the temperature with a stock heatsink would be higher. However, with the stock heatsink and stock speeds, your temperature at idle should be much lower that what you have. What is the temperature at full load?
You said you checked the heatsink. Did you reapply with new thermal grease? You probably should remove the heatsink and clean the heatsink and cpu with isopropyl alcohol and the reapply good thermal grease. Also make sure your case has good airflow. That should lower your temperataures.
May 1, 2007 8:56:31 PM

Quote:
The RPM's of your CPU fan are also way too low!

would u post a Screenshot of Everest to see your RPM's ?

Quote:
did you clean, and re-apply new thermal paste when you "re-seated" the heatsink?

First of all , i havent applied any thermal paste, it was not mentioned in the core 2 duo cpu manual , and i felt there is no need for it when i saw the bottom of the heatsink , it had some kind of a black paste that i havent seen on older P4 cpu's which have the same heatsink's shape of the core 2

Quote:
my E4300 OC @ 3GHz using a ACF7P idles at 25C and is 53C at 100% load

execuse me , are u talking about Tcase ? am sure u r , cauz this is impossible ! 3GHz and 53C at 100% !!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for ur replies guys , i'm still ****in confused as i've heared from other ppl that those are ok for stock cooler and clocks.
May 1, 2007 9:08:55 PM

1. the cpu fan is very very low... 900~RPM...
if you want u can turn off SMARTFAN if you don't mind the noise (it's not noisy at all in my opinion...) then your fan will be at max speed...

second this is to go to EASYTUNE & check settings for the SMARTFAN- you can adjust the speed according to temp... in my pc- i use: over 40C=100%.

at Intel's documents the Best operation temp for the cpu is 39C & the SMARTFAN is for reducing noise & keeping the core at 39C.

third, check that EIST is enable.... this will reduce core speed when not needed= cooler cpu @ idle.....

2. is your case cooled? fans etc.... if you have only 1 exhust fan it can be "a problem...." but not directly "this problem".

u can talk to me via Email for faster answers..... zdori4@gmail.com
May 1, 2007 9:13:41 PM

That black "paste" on the bottom of the stock heatsink is the pre-applied thermal grease. Once you remove the heatsink after seating it, you need to clean it off and apply new thermal grease before you reattach it.
My 25C idle and 53C load are the temperatures as reported by Speedfan, Everest, and CoreTemp 0.94. TAT always reports temperatures about 15C higher than them. This is a common problem with TAT that most people have. I don't understand why TAT reports the same temperatures for you. Do you have the latest bios for your motherboard?
May 1, 2007 9:47:30 PM

Quote:
1. the cpu fan is very very low... 900~RPM...
if you want u can turn off SMARTFAN if you don't mind the noise (it's not noisy at all in my opinion...) then your fan will be at max speed...

second this is to go to EASYTUNE & check settings for the SMARTFAN- you can adjust the speed according to temp... in my pc- i use: over 40C=100%.

at Intel's documents the Best operation temp for the cpu is 39C & the SMARTFAN is for reducing noise & keeping the core at 39C.

third, check that EIST is enable.... this will reduce core speed when not needed= cooler cpu @ idle.....

2. is your case cooled? fans etc.... if you have only 1 exhust fan it can be "a problem...." but not directly "this problem".

u can talk to me via Email for faster answers..... zdori4@gmail.com

Man thank you !!!!!!!!!!!

it worked ! i turned off that fan control in the bios and everything went ok ! the temp is 42 now !

again , thank u ! u r the only one who helped instead of saying "oooh ur rpms are too low , i have higher rates ! "
May 1, 2007 10:03:06 PM

Update ,

Tcase is 27C

Core #1 is 40
Core #2 is 37

IDLE
May 2, 2007 12:08:44 PM

one more question . does anybody know what are the stock voltages for the e6400 ?
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2007 1:51:19 PM

Just curious what you now get at full load in TAT. It sounds like you have most of yoru issue solved but I was wondering if you reapplied some past when reseating your cooler. Most stock idles I've seen sit under 40C. Just wondering if you reapplied paste or maybe your ambient temps are higher.
May 2, 2007 4:06:01 PM

Quote:
Just curious what you now get at full load in TAT. It sounds like you have most of yoru issue solved but I was wondering if you reapplied some past when reseating your cooler. Most stock idles I've seen sit under 40C. Just wondering if you reapplied paste or maybe your ambient temps are higher.

yes i re-applied a thermal paste , and i now get 56 on the 1st core on full load using TAT.

can the case be the problem ? i mean the problem of not getting the 1st core under 40 , because it never goes below 40 ! .

my 2nd question , does anybody know the stock voltages for the 6400 ?
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2007 8:10:10 PM

I think it is 1.3125v. Here how about you try this. install CPU-z and it will report your voltage. Maybe it is running to high for some reason. That would be possible cause of high temps.
May 2, 2007 8:59:48 PM

Quote:
I think it is 1.3125v. Here how about you try this. install CPU-z and it will report your voltage. Maybe it is running to high for some reason. That would be possible cause of high temps.

mmmmmm, strange !
CPu-Z reports 1.288 !!!!

what should i do ?set it to 1.3125 ?
May 4, 2007 9:42:54 PM

OK , no reply , thanks anyway.

but i just have one more question , How far can i push this e6400 without an upgraded aircooler ? Techspot says 3.2GHZ can be reached easily without upgraded air cooling , is this right ?
May 5, 2007 8:33:22 PM

Quote:
OK , no reply , thanks anyway.

but i just have one more question , How far can i push this e6400 without an upgraded aircooler ? Techspot says 3.2GHZ can be reached easily without upgraded air cooling , is this right ?

My 6400 ran at 3200mhz using the stock heat sink. But my temps were nowhere near yours. At full load I got to 45C using Rightmark. I'm just wondering if you need some more airflow in your case because your temps are still high. At 3200mhz my 6400 was idling at 26C.
!