Experience Index score of 3.5 for a Core 2 E6400???

Status
Not open for further replies.

anacree

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I just recently got Vista, and it gave my processor an experience index score of only 3.5. All of my other scores are almost 5 or higher, and this score of 3.5 for this processor seems way to low. I've seen in other posts people getting much better than this for earlier generation processors. I don't know if it is a driver issue or what (not sure which drivers affect the CPU). Any ideas?

Thanks

Solution
Seeing that you and oneNJ are using the same cpu and you both have very different scores, it appears that you have other problems. According to
Understand and improve your computer's performance in Windows Vista
the cpu score measures the performance of your processor when tasked with several common Windows-based activities. The subscore represents the average of those measurements. Yours and oneNJ's scores should be equal.

It sounds like your MoBo is not taking full advantage of your really nice e6400. Maybe a MoBo should be in your investment plans? What is your memory score (i.e. are you running 2 ddr2 modules (setup properly as ddr2)?

Get cpuid's cpuz from here. What does it say?

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I just recently got Vista, and it gave my processor an experience index score of only 3.5. All of my other scores are almost 5 or higher, and this score of 3.5 for this processor seems way to low. I've seen in other posts people getting much better than this for earlier generation processors. I don't know if it is a driver issue or what (not sure which drivers affect the CPU). Any ideas?

Thanks
You don't mention what cpu you are using... The scores for the cpus are based a little on how well it performs (raw speed), it also includes considerations for other items including instructions sets (sse3...), so an older processor may get hit from several directions. I have an x6800 which performs pretty good and supports all of the latest features - it gets a score of 5.6. I would suspect a e6400 probably doesn't get a score much lower.

anacree

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
The processor is a Core 2 duo E6400, 2.13 Ghz L2. I had thought maybe it was a problem with Vista not recognizing that it was a dual core and only seeing the processor as 2.13 Ghz?

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
Seeing that you and oneNJ are using the same cpu and you both have very different scores, it appears that you have other problems. According to
Understand and improve your computer's performance in Windows Vista
the cpu score measures the performance of your processor when tasked with several common Windows-based activities. The subscore represents the average of those measurements. Yours and oneNJ's scores should be equal.

It sounds like your MoBo is not taking full advantage of your really nice e6400. Maybe a MoBo should be in your investment plans? What is your memory score (i.e. are you running 2 ddr2 modules (setup properly as ddr2)?

Get cpuid's cpuz from here. What does it say?

Solution

anacree

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
The mobo I have is a ECS PX1 and I just updated to the most recent BIOS they have released. I haven't rerun the index after updating the BIOS, so maybe that will fix it? Not sure...

CPU-z reports that I have a Core 2 Duo E6400. It lists 2 cores and 2 threads, a core speed of 1596 MHZ, FSB of 1064 MHz. There is also a selection box for choosing other processors, but that is grayed out. I don't know if this is how CPU-z should report the processor.

Memory is OCZ DDR2, 2 x 1GB and seems to be working properly. I'm getting an index score of way over 5 for memory.

I also did some system requirements lab scans, and it reports my processor as a Core 2 Duo, 2.13 GHZ rated at 5.74 GHz

Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.