Sign in with
Your question

Bad 8800GTS or we damage the Motherboard ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2007 12:27:25 PM

My cousin recently acquire the BFG 8800 GTS, this card was replacing the x850XT. The MB is ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939

Prior to the installation the computer was 100% operational.

We install the new video card following the instruction. No problem.

Turn the computer on, and all the computer power up including the new video card, BUT the MONITOR has no signal.

- Verified all the connection(but no problem found)
- Call customer support and advise us to take the motherboard battery out , and put the battery again, (I still have the problem)

We decide to put the OLD card (We though that new video card was not working properly).

I soon we install the old new card , and power up the comp , we have the SAME problem that with have with new one (no signal to the monitor). WHAT happened !!! the old card was working a few min ago RIGHT NOW my cousin don’t have computer at all.(I have to send this e-mail for him , hopefully is cheaper than one technician or the GEEK squad)

It has been 10 rough HR with out computer for him. And for me too (He is part of my team in BF2142).

HELPP he don’t want to go to the GEEK Squad.
May 1, 2007 12:34:36 PM

It is unlikely you damaged the motherboard. Didn't you forget the power connectors, if there are any?

If an element of your hardware has failed following the installation of the new gpu, the most likely culprit is the power supply.
May 1, 2007 12:55:15 PM

I always like the use of the pronoun "we" when something goes wrong. When people are bragging about some OC'n feat or a new killer rig it's always "I"
Related resources
May 1, 2007 1:22:35 PM

Dr_Asik

Yes we put the power connectors, the PS is 580W , the minimum requirement for the card is a 450w PS. You see the Video card fan working, also you see that the comp is powering up, everything is ok except no signal in the monitor( NEW or old Video card)

rodney_ws

I say “WE” because I was present at the moment, My cousin was the want that install the Video C… but using the “WE” make him feel better.
May 1, 2007 1:30:10 PM

Removing the battery will usually fix this if the bios is locked, there is also a CMOS clear jumper usually on the motherboard, try that, then put the old video card in. Also try jamming F8 to force the computer to boot into command prompt only (or whatever the Vista equiv is), a broken windows driver could also make it look like there was no video signal.
May 1, 2007 1:46:08 PM

The OS for the computer is XP pro, We try with the battery, nothing happened , I will try the (CMOS clear jumper) and to force the bios. About the driver , all the ATI drivers were remove from the comp prior to the installation.

Q: (lurk3r:“a broken windows driver could also make it look like there was no video signal.”)
But this driver also affect the booting? I don’t see anything at all while rebooting.
May 1, 2007 2:12:42 PM

sounds like he needs a new power supply, if it isnt at least 500 watt then he needs a new one. Do you have the power plugged into the card? Does the computer beep several times when it turns on? It could possibly be the ram. What kind of monitor does he have? Its possible that the dvi/vga port is bad. Try using the card with another monitor, switch out the ram if you can, or try different combinations of ram. Recheck the cable connections to the monitor, graphics card etc.
May 1, 2007 2:18:36 PM

Is the monitor cable attached :roll: back of the video card .

psu how many amps on the 12v rail , wattage dosent matter , 8O
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2007 3:09:09 PM

How come fx51 has only 7 posts and yet has an avatar?

Have the rules changed?

Anyway on with the plot:

When you removed the drivers did you use windows uninstall only or did you follow that up with one of the graphics driver cleaner utilities? There may be a few ATi driver files lousing things up for the nVidia install.

I have found that if you stick within brand for an upgrade then old files get replaced by the new install but when you upgrade with a different brand sometimes the old files can interfere. This, however, wouldn't become an issue until windows loads the drivers.

If, on the other hand, your problem is occurring during boot and NOTHING is showing, not even the video BIOS splash prior to the motherboard BIOS splash, then we need to look at hardware.

One place to look is at the VGA connector; with so many unplug/plug cycles you may have damaged a pin. Next, (please don't think I'm being patronising as I have done this) Is the monitor actually on, or is it on standby. Try switching the monitor on after you start the boot.

Q
May 1, 2007 3:40:32 PM

OK, I get the gist that your computer isn't getting to the boot screen, which means that drivers and OS aren't coming into play!

Remove power from the hard drives, CD drives and just have the minimum of power required (MB + GPU). Also, disconnect the kettle lead from the back of the power supply for a minimum of ten minutes (some PSU's have a built-in trip but normally when this happens you don't get any power).

Once ten minutes have passed, put the kettle lead back in again, and then try to power up using the OLD graphics card. It would unsual for a MB to take out a graphics card, but thats not to say it doesn't happen. Make sure the memory is securely seated.

Also does your motherboard have onboard graphics, if so, reseting the BIOS might have reset the default graphics to the onboard (not all BIOS's automatically disable onboard graphics when a second card is installed).

Let us know how it goes.
May 1, 2007 5:21:41 PM

Flying-Q Quote: (NOTHING is showing, not even the video BIOS splash prior to the motherboard BIOS splash, then we need to look at hardware.)

Yes basically, is like the monitor is not receiving the signal at all,

We are using DVI plug I; the monitor is Viewsonic VGseries is only a few months old.

Jigr69

I don’t think that is a PS issue, because he did not have any problem with the old Video C, went we turn the comp on you see that all the comp is running (HD , DVD) and the (fan of the Video C ) is working in both of the Video C.

I will try what you say to see if it work.
Yesterday I removed the battery from the MB for a few minutes, but nothing happened
I will do the same today + your recommendation.
Let see if it work.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2007 9:21:36 PM

Windows VGA drivers don't like dvi connections, use a vga connection to get your card installed then switch over to dvi.
May 1, 2007 9:34:02 PM

Hmm, I do have 2 screens, the DVI one does not initiate nearly as fast as the DSUB. Using the 15 pin VGA connector may be a good solution. Also I went for the F8 solution to verify if it was a driver problem, at this point likely not, however when you do get past the lack of display check out

http://www.driverheaven.net/

Its been a while since I threw out my X800, but there was a utility there to strip all the crap ATI leaves layin around out.

You can check your power supply like someone suggested by unplugging everything except ram, cpu and video. I would try to remove the video and see if you get the alarm beeps from the mobo too. I think it should be 3 long for a failed video card, been a while since I pulled out the bios survival guide.
May 2, 2007 9:44:38 AM

Quote:
I don’t think that is a PS issue, because he did not have any problem with the old Video C, went we turn the comp on you see that all the comp is running (HD , DVD) and the (fan of the Video C ) is working in both of the Video C.

It could be that your power supply isn't providing the voltage required for the CPU (its dropped the 5V rail), but still supplies the 12v rail. Hence why everything starts up, fans hard drives, but still no output. It would explain why there isn't any Bios Beep codes being emitted (not unless you dont actually have an onboard speaker).

It could be that in removal of the old card, something on the motherboard has been disturbed, try removing everything, and reseating all components again.

Good luck.
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2007 10:25:25 AM

Quote:

It could be that your power supply isn't providing the voltage required for the CPU (its dropped the 5V rail), but still supplies the 12v rail. Hence why everything starts up, fans hard drives, but still no output. It would explain why there isn't any Bios Beep codes being emitted (not unless you dont actually have an onboard speaker).

It could be that in removal of the old card, something on the motherboard has been disturbed, try removing everything, and reseating all components again.

Good luck.

This was my next thought - ditto the advice - all along it has sounded like hardware and the PSU is now suspect number one.

Q
May 2, 2007 10:51:33 AM

maybe try this:
- unplug computer, push start button to remove the power still in the PSU
- remove battery for min. 20 sec
- reinstall battery
- replug the computer cable
- does the motherboard has onboard video? if so, connect the screen to this one an check.
- check amps on the 12v rail of the PSU
- use D-sub!
- try different screen, (if possible a CRT) could be a problem with the native resolution of your screen or the refresh rate!
- if possible, try the card in a different computer.

- if everything fails, send the card to me, i will recycle it for free ;-)
May 2, 2007 12:12:58 PM

k noob help

did u try ur cousins PC on another Monitor ? try that before u do any hardware changes
May 2, 2007 1:34:49 PM

Sound like common and is it, but sometime we forget that with have it. Yesterday we decide to put the video cards in another computer, this was able to tell us , if it was a Video card problem or the motherboard.

I soon we install the video cards (new and old one) in the other computer., the video cards we working pecfectly.

That said, the problem that we are facing right now is (WT… happened to the motherboard), I know that is no a Power Supply issue, because is was running with no problem with the old card , and right now the new or the old are facing the same problem.

Today I will try to “reset” the motherboard. I will let you know what happen.
May 2, 2007 6:16:10 PM

Quote:
That said, the problem that we are facing right now is (WT… happened to the motherboard), I know that is no a Power Supply issue, because is was running with no problem with the old card , and right now the new or the old are facing the same problem.
That doesn't rule out the possibility of a power supply failure. It was running no problem with the older card, but once it has failed, it has failed. And the GPU being the most stressfull component on the PSU, the rest of the computer might boot anyway.

You were able to switch video cards to another computers; try switching PSUs now.
May 3, 2007 3:00:38 PM

Quote:

That said, the problem that we are facing right now is (WT… happened to the motherboard), I know that is no a Power Supply issue, because is was running with no problem with the old card , and right now the new or the old are facing the same problem

Very bad logic, its like saying 'my car was working fine when i parked it wrapped around the pole, it must be working fine now'. Check the PS
May 4, 2007 1:08:34 AM

8O That never came to my mind because the computer look like it was charging the ops system... That said...

I will try it and will let you know..

:D  for the forumz...
May 4, 2007 2:11:37 PM

The strain on the power supply is at the greatest at the point when you switch it on, the same way that 95% of light bulbs fail when being switched on. Everything vies for power until they settle down, the power supply is normally cold and has to warm up (more damage is done to car engines when starting from cold than warm). Also not all PSU's are created equal, so one stating a capacity of 500w may be better than one rated 580w - the psu rating is based on the sum of all the rails, not the important ones!

With the inclussion of a more powerful graphics card and therefore a more power hungry graphics card, it could simply be the straw that broke the camels back.
May 4, 2007 2:26:25 PM

I had this exact same problem and struggled for two days trying to resolve. No bios splash, no signal. Same when I put old card back in. Finally called EVGA and turns out, this is a problem with Viewsonic monitors. apparently, changing from the 7000 to 8000 series graphic cards does something to the memory in the monitor itself. . He told me to unplug the monitor for 30 minutes so no power was going to it to clear the monitor's memory. I did so, booted up and got the bios splash. Worked like a charm.
May 7, 2007 2:33:00 PM

Problem solves! :lol: 

We try all the advice that was giving, but at the end the motherboard was busted.
He was tier of waiting and he bought a new motherboard. As soon we install all components, no problems at all with the computer. The only issue that was the monitor, and we unplug-it wait 15min put it back and then was working fine.

As soon we have the comp running, was BF2142 time.

Thanks for all the advice :D 
!