Status
Not open for further replies.

Darky

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
I tried to delete my Windows.Old folder, but there's 2 file left in there, that both look like this:

wtfisthisfilepi9.png

When I try to rename them, it says file could not be found.

How would I get into deleting them?

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Have you tried deleting them while in Safe Mode? Or you can create another user account, log in with that one and see if it allows you to delete the files. If it does, you can log back into your previous account and delete the user account you created previously (if you don't want it anymore).

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I tried to delete my Windows.Old folder, but there's 2 file left in there, that both look like this:

When I try to rename them, it says file could not be found.

How would I get into deleting them?

This may or may not work. For each of the sub-folders reduce the name to one character, be sure to remember what they are. After this try deleting it again.

Windows can only have a file name be so long. Unfortunately it includes all the folders and subfolders its a part of, causing a bit of annoying. Hopefully the above trick will work. It can be a pain in the behind to deal with.

Looking at the path name in the screen shot the OP is well short of 255 characters so I doubt this is the problem in this case. I'm wondering if this is a permissions problem and the files in question are marked as belonging to the administrator account. You get similar issues on Linux systems when you try to delete files belonging to root as a normal user.

@Darky: The safe mode suggestion is a good one, the file might be locked. Failing that run a full check disk on the drive just to make sure this isn't some sort of file corruption.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
just an idea to consider as I think the other ones are worth following also...

Have you rebooted the box after deleting the folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.