NTOSKRNL.EXE has Changed

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Hey all, recently I've noticed that a system file called ntoskrnl.exe has 'changed' underneath AVG's virus scan. This is a new thing as previously I've had no problems with anything with my PC (regarding MS XP).

Hardware specs are in my sig, but on top of that I'm running Microsoft Windows XP Pro w/ SP2.

Now, you may all be wondering why I'm getting all nervous over some minor file change, but I've recently experienced some problematic restores. I can no longer reboot properly through the OS, I have to press the reboot button on my PC to do so. Secondly, my PC crashes whenever it goes into sleep mode for a long period of time...which becomes a problem when you want download a driver/patch overnight.

Does anyone know how to repair/replace/fix this file?

Thanks in advance!

Deluxe247

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
No prob...
Throw in your Win XP disk, boot from the cd and hit "R". This will take you to the recovery console. Type "expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32". Say overwrite. This will replace the os kernel (important). Type exit and reboot. If problems persist, that's not the issue. Let me know.

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
So it's that serious that you have change the kernel?

Damn...

OK, I'll try that. Thanks!

BTW--I've also got the same errors with user32.dll and shell32.dll. I downloaded the files of some dll help site, and I'm not sure as to what to do next. Do I just paste the files into the system32 file, replacing the old ones?

Deluxe247

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Pretty much same thing for all dll files.
expand D:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32
expand D:\i386\SHELL32.DL_ C:\windows\system32
You may have to rename your current .dll's as .old ex:user32.old

2 more things. 1-I put D: assuming that's your cd-rom drive, it needs to be wherever your drive is. 2-If you re-load the files and they still are corrupted, you prob have corrupted registry or virus.

Deluxe247

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Yup. If this continues, you may have to back up and reformat, reinstall just to rid of it. BTW, I reccomend AVast AV, it's free and doesn't load a bunch of unneccessary junk. I've even caught stuff with it that norton didn't.

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Hm...

So entered the two commands in command prompt (in Windows). Is that all that needs to be done?

I'm going to fix NTOSKRNL soon, so I want to get the two dll problems over and done with. :?

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Sorry for the double post, but the three items are still showing up on AVG:

Do you reckon they're still corrupted, or is AVG just reporting this as a history thing?

Deluxe247

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Looks fine, your av just wants you to be aware of the change. Like I said I'm partial to Avast because you can set it so your system files are not flagged the same as everything else. Are you still having the same issues since you swapped the files?

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Everything WAS working fine dandy (after I did what you said), but this monring, Windows just killed itself. XD

Windows updated itself this morning and did the normal reboot after updating. However, from there, Windows failed to start up. I tried booting in through safe mode, 'last known good config' and normally, but nothing worked.

It could be a clash of files in the kernel, but I have no idea what the real problem is.

Is there anyway I can get into Windows, get my important files and then format the hard drive?

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Hm... Have you got MSN? It may be easier to communicate with you that way.

Alright, I'll boot from the XP disc... and make sure my files are intact?

sspltd

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
I have had similar error messages popup after udating Windows and IExplorer after being notified security updates are available by MS. After "Acknowledging" the change in AVG, the error didn't come up again. I have had no problems in my system for over two years and am running the pro version of AVG. Is it possible the changes are part of the updates from MS? And would this apply to all the other error messages for similar changes posted above. If so, then I have to wonder at the wisdom of MS at not having these error messages posted on their KB for us to find.