Need advice on cheap replacement for Radeon 9800

I have a secondary computer i sometimes use for LAN parties with a Radeon 9800. What is the cheapest replacement card that is at least as good? I don't care about max settings, and DEFINATLEY dont want to spend $100. The Radeon 9800 is certainly kaput.

If it would be possible to run Vangaurd: Saga of Heros, that would be great too. I dont care about quality settings, long as its playable.

Oh yes, and must have DVI out for my LCD.

Thanks a bunch! Looking forward to knowledgeable responses!

P.S. Yes, I know 9800 is old :D
15 answers Last reply
More about need advice cheap replacement radeon 9800
  1. What is your system Spec?(Specially your power supply?)
    read Cleeve's The Best Gaming Video Cards For The Money.
  2. Its a greta acticle, but im looking even cheaper then $100. The system has a 400W power supply (dont recall brand, but it wasnt a cheapo knockoff one with a poor rating on the 12V), AGP 8x Slot. 512MB Ram. Sempron 2100 (might be up to 2500, dont rememeber).

I have my old Radeon 8500 in it, and it plays WoW, and thats good for me. I do have a friend that plays Vanguard, and it would be nice if it could play that too. So i guess Pixel Shader 2.0 would be key.

I really apreciate you taking the time to look at my post.
  3. First thing you want to do is grab some more RAM. That will help you out TREMENDOUSLY!

Not to long ago I went from 1gig to 2 gigs and the difference was night and day.. so for you to go from 512 to 1.5 gigs will be incredible. Should be fairly cheap to. I also have a 9800pro... so I can speak from experience that you're going to see a huge difference.

Figure out what board you have so that you can see what type of ram you need. Also, do you have your 512 in 2 sticks or one? If just one, you may want to pick up another 512 stick so that you can run everything in dual mode. That makes a huge difference as well.
  4. Thanks, but im not looking to upgrade or make this thing a monster. It's hooked up in my gym to an LCD by my stepper machine. It has a TV Card and it hooked up to a VCR. I got the Mobo for free and only one RAM slot works (the other is burnt).

This is not my "real" computer.

I'm just looking for a cheap replacement for the Radeon 9800.
  5. ^That'd be a good choice. Also, if you're not looking for anything current, these would do fine, if or when they come back in stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102089
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102088
  6. You should be able to get a used 9800 PRO on ebay for $40 ish.

If you need new under $100 that will match your 9800 PRO, there isn't much out there in the AGP segment.

The AGP Radeon X1550 should do it and should be about $60, assuming it has a 128-bit memory interface... I believe it's 128-bit.

edit: Sorry, $82 is the cheapest one. It is 128-bit thoguh.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102081
  7. Yeah, I saw those. Too bad they're not in stock because those are great deals.
  8. Hi fivealyv welcome to the forums and basically you are already getting some

good advice ; my bit get a x1600pro or wait for the new nvidia and ati lower mid range to mature in a few months.

Or you can also pick up a 2nd hand 9800pro on ebay . :D
  9. wow! thanks for all the great info, im going to check out those links!
  10. Don't forget to check eBay too, you never know what kind of deal you can find there.
  11. fivealyv.... TOTALLY off the subject...

but is your name supposed to be like.. 'NUMBA 5 ALIVE!' from johnny-five?
  12. Quote:
    fivealyv.... TOTALLY off the subject...

After the fruit drink:
    Wiki Link
  13. Quote:

After the fruit drink:
    Wiki Link
    That's some good shit.
  14. Quote:

After the fruit drink:
    Wiki Link
    That's some good ****.

Looks like it's only available in the UK?? :/
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards LAN Computer Radeon Graphics Product