Out of Ideas...Help

Voxix

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Well first let me give you my Specs: " Just built"

Mobo: ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz (CPUZ shows it Conroe)
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
G Card: GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

My issue is when im playing games sometimes I will get "Game" has had an error an needs to shutdown sorry for your incon. When I play Lord of the Rings online It will freeze my comp an ill have to restart. Now at first I thought it was heat. But I have 2 rear fans, an exsaust fan under the 8800gts, and a front & side fan. Odd thing is my MB is running hotter then my CPU. Im useing stock CPU cooler btw. Nothing is OCed. I have the newest version of mobo BIOS. Newest Vid Card & Chip set Drivers. The strange thing is it seems so speratic, sometimes it will run games for hours, then every 2min it will crash them.

I would be glad to hear any ideas you guys may have. I just want my system stable, I spent alot of cash for this an its driving me crazy. Thanks for any help in advance.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Dont stress yourself to much , it can happen specially with a newly built system .

Have you tried other games , if not then try them , see if they crash.

Patch's driver's , see if this particular game has any issues .

Another thing what is your psu rated at amps and make .

Voxix

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Yes at first I was only playing LotR, but there forums alot of people were saying they were having issues with the 8800's. But I tryed Never Winters night 2 and BF1842, and both of them crashed too. I have gotten the newest Vid card driver, chipset drivers, and newest mobo BIOS.

PS:APEVIA ATX-AS520W-BK ATX 520W Power Supply (+3.3V@30A, +5V@32A, +12V@35A, -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2A)

Dont think the PS is the issue. IM leaning more toward board or RAM what you think?

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Okay just to make it clear where i am coming from , i own a Evga 8800 320meg card on a corsair 620hx power supply.

I have not had a single game crash on me , except titan quest which when i patched is running is fine now .

I have played Oblivion,stalker, C&c 3 , fear, virtua tennis 3

Civ4 ,Ceasar 4 etc just to name a few without a hitch .

I am running these games on XP .

So unless you are using Vista =Crap :lol:

You shouldn't be having any major problems .

So check your ram motherboard drivers etc the 8800 runs just fine on my AMD 64 :D

I think its your motherboard DRIVERS , my hunch 8)

Voxix

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
No, Later I might get vista so I can have DX 10 but not for a while when they work out all the bugs.

The other day I heard some chirping coming from my HD, Not sure if that could cause this problem.

Yeah Only 1 game lock up my computer. The others ones just shut down the app. So im thinking it might be 2 diffrant issues. Im doing a 6 hour stress test on my system while im at work. Mabey that will turn out something.

What is your cooling like. Because my ram sticks get pretty warm to the touch. Im thinking mabey thats the issue.

"I think its your motherboard DRIVERS , my hunch "

Thought of that too. I updated newest chipset driver for 650i, and latest BIOS update.... Wonder if it makes a diff that I did it in that order. Mabey now that BIOS Is updated i should update chipset agian.......

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
DO NOT TOUCH THE RAM CHIPS -------- 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O Static charge from you will render them useless.

I have standard cooling no extra fans at all no FANS except the normal CPU and GPU fan.

My make is EVGA --- :D

rustymind

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
But I have 2 rear fans, an exsaust fan under the 8800gts, and a front & side fan.
that's 5 fans already, and maybe 1 sata hdds, 1 dvdrw.
well looking at that, while playing intense cpu and gpu utilization, i'll say your rig could eat up as much 320 watt total.
your psu "http://aspireusa.net/product.php?pid=21" rated 26 A = 312 watts at normal load, and up to 35 A at max at 12 volt. thats should be enough.

from my experience with my previous build, p965p s3 gigabyte, and some generic psu rated at 600 watts. the rig would be okay if used for office, internet and everyday needs, but when you play games it would rebooted. the chipsets temp were all time high at 40c when idle and up to 43c just before reboot at that time i didnt think it was the psu. maybe with your chipset ( nforce 650 SLI ) wour rig would just hangs and apps shutdown.

just a little guess if i may,
- disconnect all the fans, open your case, put a fan beside your case, and test your rig... ( doing so would lower your watt consumption to 280 watt ). maybe your psu couldn't deliver the amps as specified, or you have a defect psu.
- if you have another psu, try using both of them in your rig ( that's how i find the culprit with my previous build, i dont have quality psu at that time... sigh.... :roll: )

rustymind

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
oh yeah forgot to mention that my previous build have passed memtest 12 hr, tat 6 hr without any prob...
at first i thought the memory or the cpu was defect....

wish u luck!!

Voxix

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
"DO NOT TOUCH THE RAM CHIPS"

I didnt mean while the comp was running. I would shut down an then pull them out.

I dont have a sata drive. Probably was my next upgrade. Just a Western Digital 160gig.

OK I can give that a try. I was using PC prope II. Shows me the voltage's It always seemed stable. They werent fluxing. But ill give it a try. Im willing to give anything a try at this point. The only hard part is like I said sometimes it will work in a game fine. Makes for a pain to Troubleshoot.

You are right, the 8800gts is pretty power hungry. I have to plug 2 power connectors into it. (A minimum 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 26A)

Im at work ill give that a try when I get home an see how that works out. If that isnt the problem, have any other ideas LOL?

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Well heheheh what i meant is that do not touch the chips without making sure that you are not charged up with like static .

:lol: :lol: :lol: ITS Static man :arrow: