Upgrading my laptop, and would like some assistance

heruur

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
My laptop currently has an intel core 2 duo T5500 ( its a Sony Vaio FE-890N) 1.66 Ghz. I would like to stick the Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 Merom 2.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache Socket M Processor in my laptop. Will the one from newegg work in my computer, and how do i remove the thermal paste from the cpu

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
First you need to check with the manufacturer and see if the processor is soldered to the motherboard. This is common practice to keep the motherboards on the thin side.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
man you should try overclocking before you buy a new processor, not all laptops can overclock though, but some can and its well worth it if you can do it without increasing the voltage(what can kill the processor)

http://laptoplogic.com/resources/detail.php?id=15

there are tons of guides online just do a google search and find the one that is right for you

I dont know how well core2duo mobile chips can OC without a voltage hike but im sure you could get at least 2-300mhz out of it... if your laptop is able that is

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I did a little digging for information, and I am going to have to defer to someone who is more experienced with laptops. Most of the laptops I have used or disassembled have been older models with soldered CPU's.

I was unaware that laptop motherboards have sockets now. Sorry....

heruur

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
The processor is multiply locked. This is my only opinion instead of buying a notebook with a faster processor. The Core 2 Duo (mobile version) motherboards have all the same voltages. I just need to know what to do it and if the processor i'm buying will work. Are Mobile Core 2 Duos Socket m OR Socket 479

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I'd check the thermal properties for the two processors you mentioned. If the newer one runs faster, it likely runs hotter as well... and your laptop's cooling system may not have been designed to cope with the extra heat. My Inspiron e1505 practically burns my legs in stock form... no way would I dare up the processor speed.