fred

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

This may or may not be the right place to ask this question. If not, I
would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

I am setting up a Wireless LAN at work using Odyssey Client 3.03, with Cisco
Aironet 1200 Access Points, and also running a QIP DHCP Server. My laptop
OSs are WinXP w/ SP1.

The problem is that when I go from one access point on one VLAN (VLAN X) to
another access point on another VLAN (VLAN Y), my laptop will not get
another IP address from the new VLAN (VLAN Y). Even when I restrat my
laptop or do an ipconfig /release/renew, the laptop will not receive a new
IP address. I looked on the MS Knowledgebase and found an article that
describes this issue exactly. Its recommendation was to upgrade to WinXP
SP2. I did this and it did not fix the problem.

However, it did fix a previous and similar problem though. When going from
access point A to access point B on the SAME VLAN, I was encountering the
same problem, where it would not obtain an IP Address, even when on the same
subnet. Upgrading my laptop to SP2 did fix that problem.

But I am still stuck with the problem of not getting an IP address when
going from VLAN to VLAN across 2 different access points.

Please advise!!!

Charlie

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Try the group alt.internet.wireless. They may be able to help you.
"Fred" <freddhammond@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This may or may not be the right place to ask this question. If not, I
> would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.
>
> I am setting up a Wireless LAN at work using Odyssey Client 3.03, with
> Cisco
> Aironet 1200 Access Points, and also running a QIP DHCP Server. My laptop
> OSs are WinXP w/ SP1.
>
> The problem is that when I go from one access point on one VLAN (VLAN X)
> another access point on another VLAN (VLAN Y), my laptop will not get
> another IP address from the new VLAN (VLAN Y). Even when I restrat my
> laptop or do an ipconfig /release/renew, the laptop will not receive a new
> IP address. I looked on the MS Knowledgebase and found an article that
> describes this issue exactly. Its recommendation was to upgrade to WinXP
> SP2. I did this and it did not fix the problem.
>
> However, it did fix a previous and similar problem though. When going
> from
> access point A to access point B on the SAME VLAN, I was encountering the
> same problem, where it would not obtain an IP Address, even when on the
> same
> subnet. Upgrading my laptop to SP2 did fix that problem.
>
> But I am still stuck with the problem of not getting an IP address when
> going from VLAN to VLAN across 2 different access points.
>
> Please advise!!!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

DNS fails: restart windows, after you go to start/run, and type CMD, then at that prompt type: IPCONFIG /flushDNS and then :
IPCONFIG /registerDNS

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509