Confused !!!!

AngusHades

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
G'day everyone sorry i'm new to the "writing in the forms thing" I have a BFG 680I board and i was just wondering why is that sometimes when i restart i can not us my USB kb in bootup I can't access bios , the usb starts to work when windows has loaded .i have the newest bios and all and i aint no noob at building a pc or ocing them. I just don't understand why it does this. Anyhelp would be great.

Thanks

I keep a PS2 kb laying around for instances like this. When I've reset/update the BIOS on other machines, I've had to use a PS2 kb to enter the BIOS so I could enable any USB options.

According your mobo manual on page 57, under the Integrated Peripherals Menu, you can enable/disable the onboard USB as well as USB support for the mouse and keyboard. So, RTFM!

Also, make sure the BIOS jumper is set properly and save any and all changes before exiting the BIOS.

AngusHades

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Mate i'm not retarded , like i said i'm not a noob. Offcourse i have that on in the bios , i said it happends sometimes for no reason, like after a couple of restarts i can't get access to the bios screen for no reason. The usb kb don't work and this is my seconed one....before you ask. Same thing with my old one. mx5000, now i'm using a G11

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I don't know what the reason for this is, but I had the same problem with my old Dell 8100. The usb keyboard was only recognized after windows started. The only way for me to have the computer recognize the keyboard before windows started was to unplug all usb devices except for the keyboard. Then I could use it to access the bios. I suspect it had something to do with the the keyboard not getting enough power when the computer booted with other things connected. So, unplug all usb devices except for your keyboard and see if you can get to the bios.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Mate i'm not retarded , like i said i'm not a noob. Offcourse i have that on in the bios , i said it happends sometimes for no reason, like after a couple of restarts i can't get access to the bios screen for no reason. The usb kb don't work and this is my seconed one....before you ask. Same thing with my old one. mx5000, now i'm using a G11

Not the best way of going about getting someone to help you out. Pointing out the obvious isn't calling you a noob. Sometimes the simple things get overlooked the fastest. Have you tried BFG support to see if anyone was reporting the same problem your having? Try not to jump on some one whose trying to help you in the future.

Just my two copper though.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I've had similar problems with Win XP Pro and a usb mouse - about half the time, upon boot, the usb mouse would be frozen. A couple of restarts later, it would work.

I had a usb to PS2 adapter and plugged the mouse into the PS2 port - not a single problem since. Perhaps that "Aussie pro" might try something similar.

nECrO1967

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
If this was obvious and you already tried this, then I apologize. In many BIOS there is a "Legacy USB support" option. I had this problem and when I enabled this option it went away.

I will repeat the comment below that just because someone points out the obvious, doesn't mean they question your ability. I too have missed the obvious and I have been building computers for nearly 30 years. As my Granny liked to say, you'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar! Good luck with the problem.

I've got one thing for you, Ockham's Razor. And, if that don't tickle your fancy, try Murphy's Law!

You might want to try re-loading the USB or chipset drivers. Verifying "Legacy USB Support" has been enabled is also a good suggestion. And, worst case you do what Jake_Barnes did and plug in a USB/PS2 adapter.

Either way, whatever...