Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaC

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
Hey A friend of mine got vista recently and it looks really nice.

I use my PC mainly for gaming and video/picture editing and was wondering if vista would work well for me of if I should just stick to XP.

Omegavirus

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I don't know about Ati but nvidia needs to get some better drivers out from what most say. I just built this computer and am getting back into gaiming. So far I have only installed 2 games Obilvion and Supreme Commander.

Both play without any problems for me.

E6600,8800gtx,vista ultimate

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
definitely stick with xp for now, vista drivers are horrible, a lot of bugs and in some cases gaming issues.
ASSman, almost every post you make, you recommend that people just stay with XP, what level of Vista are you using that makes you so negative? Personally, I have a lot of different drivers in my system and it is rock solid. The ONLY bug I have EVER seen is with one ATI driver release (7.3 - bsod, 3rd upgrade since gold) and it was an easy fix. I _hear_ that nvidia is having a hell of a time, but it's probably the same thing you are up to...

What drivers are YOU actually having issues with (or r u jus fud'n him:)?

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
used to have vista 32bit with 100.65 & 101.41 beta, some games wouldn't start at all: godfather, swat 4 so i decided to go back to xp until sp1 and/or more stable drivers.

as to your accusations of being "anti-vista" that's bs, if you looked closer than you'd see that my advice as to wether or not upgrade to vista or not is totally based on the usage of the pc(gaming, encoding, or "internet browsing/e-mail"). Your accusations are meaningless and offensive joke.

Omegavirus

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Like I said I've only played the 2 games I've mentioned using vista 32bit with 100.65 and it's 100% stable and plays great, but I haven't played the other games mentioned, and I have read about people having problems with some games.

They only other stuff I've doen graphic intense is your normal benchmarking, which the 100.65's work fine for, but in the end the hell with benchmarks.

Wait there is one game I tried and have problems with, the MS texas hold'em that comes with vista, it flickers with the 100.65 drivers :?

This is my first Nvidia card and so far MY experience with it and vista has been good so far but Nvidia seems to be slow on releasing driver updates. I like Ati's monthly driver release schedule

Omegavirus

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
If i would have had a ton of games I probably would stay with XP for a while, can't hurt right.

For me my last computer died so when I built this new one I had to buy a OS ( lost my old XP disk ) didn't have any games so I figure why not I might as well.

By the time I beat Oblivion they should have all the crap worked out for any games I may want to play next :wink:

Omegavirus

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
can't agree more. ati's monthly releases is something nvidia should consider.
I'll be honest. I had to build a new computer and ATI's R600's release date was up in the air so I just went with the 8800gtx ( which is a good card ) but I was a little bit shock that nvidia didn't do monthly updates. Just figured they did since ATI did. You'd think they would atleast

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
It all depends on the types of games, as far as Vista32 goes. OpenGL and games using DX9.0C are not too bad in most cases, but older DX games absolutely suck. I tried compatibility mode, and it does make it a little better but it also slows the games down pretty dramatically in most cases. Plus, I have an NVidia GPU, so that definitely doesn't help.

Oatmealsoup

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

Say I had a PC with vista on it how hard would it be to get XP on it?

Fdisk, format.

Easy!

If you mean rolling back Vista to XP while retaining data (although there's just about zero reason to even ponder doing this) fairly hard bordering on impossible. I mean, I could probably do it if I spent 2 weeks and had an umbrella, a banana, a blowtorch and a case of 40 wt motor oil, but you shouldn't try.

riser

Illustrious
Since there is a debate going on here..

Stick with XP. Why? Unless you want to spend time dealing with finding the right drivers for your hardware and doing minor little tweaks that is.

Vista will require extra time to get tweaked because its new.

Give it 6 to 12 months and it'll be rock solid and won't require nearly as much time as it would right now.

Vista is out right now for those who want to deal with the issues, who want to have the latest and greatest Windows OS. And they'll be more likely to report the bugs, the errors, follow up with hardware vendors on their drivers, etc.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Vista will require extra time to get tweaked because its new.

Give it 6 to 12 months and it'll be rock solid and won't require nearly as much time as it would right now.

Vista is out right now for those who want to deal with the issues, who want to have the latest and greatest Windows OS. And they'll be more likely to report the bugs, the errors, follow up with hardware vendors on their drivers, etc.

agree, my copy of vista is waiting its turn :)

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
Off the top of my head...

-Supreme Commander demo
-several other demos that I can't remember
-Painkiller
-Rainbow Six Vegas
-Tomb Raider Legends
-HL2
-Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (i can't set the textures to 'Ultra' otherwise the game crashes; same problem occurs in 32-bit vista; it's not a 64 bit issue)
-Company of Heroes
-Stalker Chernobyl (there are problems with this game, but i have the exact same problems under 32-bit vista; 64-bit has nothing to do with it)

I'd be interested in what games *don't* work under 64-bit so I know which ones to avoid.

Trunkz_Jr

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Does anyone know then how well it runs Armed Assault [if you, could you try the free demo? lol http://www.armedassault.com/ ] or even games like BF2 and BF2142. I'll mainly be playing ArmA tho.

CtrlAltDel

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Can you let me know what games you've tried [or anyone here] on Vista x64?

Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars. On their website they say 64bit is not supported, but at least with the patch 1.04 works great. And the performance is just fine, maxed out using E6600 and 8800GTS.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I dont saw any diff on vista , xp framerate, just need more ram to work, i am on vista x64 and all work perfect for me, also the loading game are faster, dont ask me why ... Also x64 is A LOT more secure and spyware, virus free. If you have min 2GB ram go for it, if you have 1gb you may want to stay with XP

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I'm fortunate enough to have minor problems with Vista. The 101.71 drivers work very nice, but I've rolled back to 100.65 because of BFV.

BF2 is working great and BF2:SF. Don't have 2142, but the demo DID NOT work.

Hey, nVidia is trying. I'd like to see ATI develop a driver for a completey new architecture AND completely new operating system at the same time. Guarantee they'd have similar problems.

I've heard nVidia is also following a 1 driver per month schedule?

~Ibrahim~

Status
Not open for further replies.