smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I recently upgraded my cpu from A64 3200+ to A64 X2 3800+. My mobo is a abit kn8 ultra and it sees the new cpu no problem there. The thing is after I power on the comp it kinda freezes after the memory check. Here is a breakdown of my problem :

- power on
- cpu shows on the screen
- memory check is ok but it stays at memory until I hit enter then it checks for the drives and sees them ok
- comp boots up normally

I didn't have this problem until I put the new cpu in. And the problem happened before I oc'ed the cpu and still the same behavior after oc. Anyone have any ideas ?

BTW my keyboard is a BTC 6300u USB.

Slow down high speed, give people some time to read the post and respond before you give it a bump...anyway, on to your issue.

Did you try default/non-oc memory timings? Did you reset the CMOS after installing the new proc? Did you try reseating the memory DIMMS as they may have taken jolt when you installed the proc?

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
No I did not reset the bios will try this tonite.

I noticed in your sig you're using seagate80gb x2 raid0 like me.(I have the 7200.9) Have you run hdtach on them ? If so what kind of burst rate are you getting ?

I did last night and got 335mb/s burst rate.

Thx !

I hope clearing the CMOS does the trick. Good luck!

Actually, I've got 2-80GB Western Digitals in RAID0 running on the motherboard nVRAID. Just did a HDTach run and it came up with 263.5MB/s. Not as fast as the Seagate's but 60% better than a single drive.

tatata

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
I was searching the web and came across this thread describing similar problem.
I have a ga-k8n pro (old) have been working for years now,
to day it stopped working, getting freeze in the middle of BIOS.
Memory check OK, and wouldn't accept any keys.
Tried resetting CMOS but doesn't seem to help.
What could have went wrong with it?