Sign in with
Your question

video card game confliction

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2007 3:48:00 PM

hey
i hava a 7600GT OC by BFG. i have had game freezing problems. a tech support member told my about a components tester to test my components(no duh).the test came back fine plus i used ntune to cheack stablitty and all cam back good (passed the tests).

Now rlating to the title. I ran BF Vietnam without any problems. I ran age of the Empire 3 without any problems and BF 1942 without any problems. Only Battlefeild 2 by EA Games has game freezes but then resumes. i have updated every driver for the mobo and video card.

I would like to know if games sometimes dont work well with some video cards. Is there a chance that that happens? What should i do about the game will EA tech support be able to help me.
May 1, 2007 3:53:31 PM

Those kinds of problems are normally in the driver. Report this issue to the maker of the game and nVidia and keep working at it.
May 1, 2007 4:07:10 PM

How much ram does your machine have

BF2 needs atleast 1 gb

otherwise see if there are any new drivers . It is a driver problem , my guess uninstall your driver and do a new install.

Just my 2 cents :) 
Related resources
May 1, 2007 4:50:27 PM

Quote:
How much ram does your machine have

BF2 needs atleast 1 gb

otherwise see if there are any new drivers . It is a driver problem , my guess uninstall your driver and do a new install.

Just my 2 cents :) 

Agreed. Of the games mentioned, BF2 is the most memory intensive. I had a screenshot at home showing the Windows TaskManager while BF2 was going... the BF2.exe process ALONE was consuming 1 GB of memory. At the time I was running the expansion pack and whatever patches were current... and I doubt that number has gone down. That game will almost definitely have performance issues on 1GB systems.
May 1, 2007 5:54:33 PM

I agree that RAM may be your problem. If there's not enough RAM, the system will have to read map information from the hard drive when you go to a new part of the map. If your drive isn't fast enough, everything will freeze while the system waits for the data from the HD. You might see some improvement if you defrag your hard drive (especially the swap file), but the only real solution is more memory.
May 1, 2007 6:14:52 PM

Quote:
If your drive isn't fast enough, everything will freeze while the system waits for the data from the HD.

I don't think ANY magnetic/optical drive is fast enough to be a good substitute for RAM. Even if he has a RAID-0 Raptor setup, he's still going to get that stutter if he's low on RAM.
May 1, 2007 6:19:49 PM

Quote:

I don't think ANY magnetic/optical drive is fast enough to be a good substitute for RAM. Even if he has a RAID-0 Raptor setup, he's still going to get that stutter if he's low on RAM.

Oh, I agree. What I meant was that if he had a fast, defragged hard drive, the freezing may be brief enough that the game is still playable.
May 2, 2007 3:41:22 PM

thanks i am buying some at the moment. i only have a gig.
!