ntuser.dat DAT and LOG File

In my C:\Documents and Settings, I have following two files which I cannot
access:

ntuser.dat DAT File

and

ntuser.dat.LOG Text Document

Every time I try to open these file it says ' The process cannot access the
file because it is being used by another process.'

Please let me know what are these files and can I safely remove it from the
computer.

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about ntuser file

    To see the contents of ntuser.dat do start->run->regedit and expand the HKCU
    branch. Be careful that you only look and do not touch.

    The dat.log file is just that. It's a log of changes/access to that
    particular registry hive.

    Up to you if you really want to delete them. I don't think you'll like the
    results though since that will sort of blow your user profile out of the
    water. ;-)

    --
    Walter Clayton

    "newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > In my C:\Documents and Settings, I have following two files which I cannot
    > access:
    >
    > ntuser.dat DAT File
    >
    > and
    >
    > ntuser.dat.LOG Text Document
    >
    > Every time I try to open these file it says ' The process cannot access
    > the
    > file because it is being used by another process.'
    >
    > Please let me know what are these files and can I safely remove it from
    > the
    > computer.
    >
    > Thanks.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP