5aq1b

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Hellow,
Quick question. I see alot of websites which offer remote assistance. Now, i take it this is via Windows remote desktop?

Also for this to be set up, do they need to give the user any instructions before connecting? ie. Port opening etc? Or do they connect straight in? What if the end-user is behind a firewall?

5aq1b

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
How would i do it over the web similar to that of what companies offer?

Not something like Logmein as that requires a logon for the user. Web-based yes, but with no interaction from the end-user required

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I tried posting it here but even tho html is enabled its not accepting it

so go here http://www.kltforums.net/?showtopic=9853 to view it, you may need to register (its free) before you view the walk thru.

xp has its own remote desktop that allows any PC in a network (your PCs at home connected to a router for example) to connect.

it also allows you to do it over the web, its the same thing as companies offer, actually its like being home in front of your desktop but you would actually be in the opposite side of the world.

if you are trying to connect to your home PC from outside, your home PC will need to be an admin account with password, you will need to open a couple of ports in your router and firewall but once you are done setting it up to be connected remotely after that nobody needs to be home for you to connect to it from work or other places.

I use both remote network connections and remote web connections myself ;)

5aq1b

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Thanks for the reply mate.

So the above method would be suitable to provide remote assistance over teh web? Or is that asking the end user to do to much to get it up and running.

PS. Just read through it and that seems like a method of connecting to my home machine if I was away. What i'm looking for is to connect to any machine (via Web) and provide remote assistance that way.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
so then you want to be the main machine and connect to multiple hosts?

if so then the host PCs needs to be setup to accept your remote connection, otherwise how is a PC suppose to tell the difference between remote support or remote hacker, also I'm not sure what you mean by "any machine" because as I said above we can't just connect to any machine without setting up the host machine first.

unless I'm not understanding something

5aq1b

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
Yeh you got it.

Example: I want my machine to be the main PC. From here, I want to be able to connect to any user's PC (with permission, and for the right reasons) to provide remote assistance.

What is the best tool to use for this, with the end user having to do as little as possible for me to connect to their machine.?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I don't know a free one but you are looking for something like this then:

http://www.rapidassist.com/index.asp

http://www.4remotesupport.com/

I have never used them and don't know how they operate but other then remote desktop or having your clients log into your server/network I don't see how else it can be done.