Computer Deterioration

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
So, Is it just me or does Windows like to deteriorate over time? Every computer I've ever had I have to end up wiping and reinstalling windows every 6 months or so because of constant random errors all over windows. I keep the computer clean with spybot search and destroy, adaware, norton antivirus, norton internet security, norton systemworks; I always use firefox, I don't install weird stuff, and I leave plenty of room on the hard drive (307gb).

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I have not had to reinstall for years, and last time I did a restore I can't even remember when it was.

your spybot and adaware are not the best app to use, the only reason anybody mentions them is because they are free but they are not as good as spysweeper do a free scan and besure you are clean.

norton sucks period, you will not find one person that knows what is good in the anti virus sector that uses norton or mcafee.

here is what you need:

anti virus = nod32
firewall = sygate 5.6 pro
anti spyware = spysweeper

run these, defrag with O&O once every 6 month and if your windows still is giving you trouble then look to your hardware.

I'm not a big windows fan but if keep it right it should be fine as mine are ;)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I usually end up re-installing every year or so just because Windows accumulates so much crap overtime, e.g., temp files and not deleting everything when you delete a program but cleaning things out and defragging helps as well, I usually do it at least once a month. One thing to do is to go to Windows Explorer, Tools, View and make all your hidden files visible then go into Safe Mode as Administrator and manually delete the various temp folders. While Spysweeper is a good program, Ad Aware has found stuff it missed. You're best running at least 2 anti spyware programs. Also run Disk Clean before you defrag.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
g-paw have you tried ccleaner? I use that to clean temp files and it does a great job.

Yes, I use that as well. The reason I suggested making all files visible and going into Safe Mode as Administrator is that I've yet to find any program that will delete all temp file folders. Unfortunately, Windows accumulates crap and like your average teenager's bedroom. :D